Monday, September 20, 2010

Stars

The interesting bit about living in Hong Kong is that there are days that one can go shopping or have a meal and go past a singer, actor or actress. I've seen a couple of them when I was out shopping and more recently, a couple of them in church. Well, no no.....I didn't pull out my little book and ask for an autograph. Number 1, sometimes, I don't really know who they are until someone mentions them to me. Number 2, I'm seldom starstruck. Quite seldom except for a couple of celebrities.

There are probably only 2 cantopop singers that I actually like and would buy their CDs. Well, one of them decided to jump down and end his life. And the other, was someone that was seated behind me in church yesterday. I didn't notice her until I turn around to pass her the offering pot. And when the service ended, I turned around again to stretch, and it was then that it hit, oh yes, it's her. No, I didn't shout, scream or stare at her in awe or anything like that. I won't even mention her name. I respect her privacy because I'm certain she wants to remain anonymous so that she can go worship God in peace. And yes, she does have a stunning voice.

When I went home, I googled her and read about her testimony. Apparently she went into depression and it was in her depression that God reached out to her and she felt a great change in her life. She went on to produce a gospel pop album and her concert was aptly named, Faith. Boy, do I love her even more now! But what really blew me away was that in the clips that I watched of her concert, she proudly sang and gave glory to God. She wasn't ashamed of her beliefs and she literally stood on the pedestal and shout out to the people of God's goodness and love.

God does use people in different ways. Yes, she may have a past. Who doesn't have a past? She may still make mistakes, who doesn't? But she loves Jesus and she isn't ashamed to show it. She turned up in church in really normal clothes, nothing flamboyant, no bodyguards and probably even no makeup. She just wanted to worship God. I reflected and wonder, what's my attitude in worship? What's my attitude on Sundays? Am I there to worship and praise my maker or am I there to present him with my list of wants for the week? Points to ponder.

No comments: