Friday, July 06, 2007

When Friends Become Family

As I've mentioned in my last blog, a friend in need called me for help. It got me thinking about friends. Over the years, I've spent and am still spending time away from Singapore and my family. And it's especially that when I'm away from family that friends become family to me.

I met Eve when I was doing my undergraduate studies in Gold Coast, Australia. I spent a lot of time with her. We used to go out all the time. Dinners, clubbing and just hanging out. When I lost contact with her, it did break my heart.

I met Stanley when I was like 6 in Sunday School. It was all in God's plan that he went to Brisbane to do his undergraduate studies as well. During the time that we were in Australia we spent a lot of time together and he was someone that I relied on a lot. I'm so happy and excited that he's getting married in less than 2 months' time!

Lina is my cousin and a best friend to me as well. We were in Australia studying around the same time. She was in Melbourne though. We used to spend lots of time talking on the phone and when times were going tough for me, I used to call her a lot. To be totally honest, she's probably one of the few that truly understand what's going on in me and in my past. I love her for accepting me as me which not many people can.

When I wanted to do my masters, I almost went to London because Eve was there. But when I found out that she was heading towards Sydney, I headed there as well. It's hard to be in the same continent as Eve much less the same country and city! So I grabbed the chance to head off to Sydney. We hang out a lot and our friendship was rekindled. I met Kabi during that time as well. He was going out with a friend of mine. I enjoyed his friendship. Although we may have hit a snag at some point of time, but its all water under the bridge and he was there when I needed help.

Even living in Spore, I still met people that have places in my heart. They have become family. Sharon is my family, love her heaps. Angie have become a mum to me and so did Aunty Sue. Veron is another sister to me. Stephen is my brother too. My family have adopted him into my family. And probably lots more people that I can't think of at this point of time.

Coming to Hong Kong, it was hard and have to say that it is still hard looking for the family in my group of friends. But I guess the need to look for the family in friends is not as strong as when I was in Australia because I have Babe here.

I do think people that I meet are not really random as I would like to think. God has placed them for me to meet them for a reason. I guess reasons that I would know and figure later on in my life or probably have already figured out with some friends. I remembered when I met Eve, I really didn't expect a friendship that would last a decade. After uni we lost contact and 5 years ago, just before my wedding, we re-connected and she appeared at my wedding. Girl, you're the best! With Stanley, soon, it's going to be a friendship that would span over 3 decades.....Friendship with Lina, it's been forever!

I guess what I'm trying to say in my rambling and babblings is that I'm just thankful that I'm blessed with friends that are family to me. And that went things go awry, I've friends to turn to and friends that will support me. Friends that are waiting to be godparents to my future kid. And friends that I can't wait to see them again. And in Hong Kong, there were some disappointments with some friendships and some pleasant surprises with some friendships. But whatever it is....God has blessed me with friends that I love and miss them. And it is an adventure meeting new people and have the friendship develop. Friends that turned to be family.....This is dedicated to you! Love you people and I miss you heaps!!!!

6 comments:

Sheylara said...

Awww, thank you for such a sweet and heartwarming post. You're the most caring, giving, sincere and fun person I know, so I don't see how anyone would find it hard to accept you the way you are. You're the best the way you are!

Love you heaps and heaps too for being the best friend and cuz anyone could be! ;)

sunniefaith said...

Monster,

Thanks for the wonderful friendship over the years! Gosh...it's spanning more than 3 decades. Shit! I'm getting old!

The Quasimother said...

Thank you Faith for showing that new friends can be made and found. You have been a wonderful savior in my darkest days.

sunniefaith said...

Girl,

Anytime! Friends are meant to be here and to help when the need arises. I've met wonderful friends that showed me that and I'm just passing on what goodness friends have done for me!

Stan said...

To know each other since we were 6 (I don't believe how you actually remembered when we knew each other!) is cause for celebration! Guess we'll have to leave that till you're back on homesoil! Quick...get back here. The party's about to begin Jas!

Unknown said...

Yes! Can't wait to celebrate your wedding too!