Friday, August 31, 2007

Wedding and Teachers' Day

Babe and me were invited to be witnesses to a marriage ceremony yesterday. It was our first time being at a marriage ceremony in HK and also our first time being witnesses. While we were at the registry, there were lots of things running through my head.

Here is a couple that I've known for about a year. And it was only in the last few months that we gotten to know each other better and we must have been significant enough in their lives for them to ask us to be their witnesses. It was a real honour to be asked to be witnesses. Thanks for the pleasure.

Being there also brought me back to 5 years ago when Babe and me put our signatures on our marriage certificate. Can't believe that 5 years has gone by so quickly. To me, it seemed it was just a couple of months ago that we got married. Normally, months can go by without us attending any weddings and now, in a matter of a month, we were invited to 2! Can't wait for the next wedding. Sharon, I'm definitely going to be there for your wedding!

And yes, today, all schools in Singapore celebrate Teachers' Day. One of the world's thankless jobs! But you know what, it doesn't matter because teachers teach because they love to teach. Well, that's for most of the teachers that I know. I started teaching because I love kids and after 8 years or so of teaching, I still love teaching. I hope that there will never come a day that I'll be sick of teaching.

When I was back in Singapore, I met up with my ex-colleagues. Sure, it was great to see them but at the same time, I felt sorry for them. They seem to be so bogged down with work and stress were eating them up. There are times that I'm in HK that I miss teaching in Singapore. I miss having my own class and having relationships with the students. But when I hear of what my ex-colleagues are going through, I don't quite miss it. I have to say that I have lots of respect for them. They work so hard and under so much stress. But at the same time, at the back of my head, I ponder and wonder if it's all worth it. Each time I'm being asked when am I going back to Singapore, my answer is always the same, I don't know. I don't know if I'm ready to give up the salary I'm getting in HK to head back to Singapore and deal with all the stress. And worse, get paid lesser to do so much more in Singapore. But it's something that we have to really think about at some point further this year. Whatever it is, readers, understand that teachers have a hard time, so don't give us the shit about teachers getting way too much holidays or working half days. Most teachers I know and including me, most of the time, we work really hard. And yes, tonight, I've to burn the midnight oil. Have to get some work done before the weekend.

I had dinner on Wednesday night with ladies from Geoexpat. It was nice to meet 2 other ladies who are also adopting. I'm meeting one of them for dinner on Monday just to chat and talk about stuff. It's nice to know others who are in the same situation as me.

Babe is going to Germany for a week for business. Freedom for me! Ya!!! But seriously, it's good as I get some 'me time'. Going to get hair done and facial! Can't wait!

No comments: