Thursday, June 26, 2008

It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

It was a dark and stormy Tuesday night. I was sitting at home after gym about to have dinner when news flashed that the typhoon or gale or whatever signal number 8 will be hoisted up by 11pm. There I sat thinking....hmmm....maybe, just maybe no work tomorrow? That would be great! So there I was hanging out with Babe and Happy. Watching telly, teasing Babe and Happy, planning where and what I was going to do in San Diego and just doing stuff till about 1 in the morning when Babe looked at me and asked if I really thought that there wouldn't be work the next day. Reluctantly, I went to bed.

Nice and cosy in bed, and then beeps were sounding from my phone. First, Paula, no school! And next Simon, no school! And I thought, I'm going to ignore everyone and wake up at my normal time and then I'll text my bosses. So back to bed I went. At 7.30, I go up, texted my bosses and yup, true enough, no work! Woohoo! And that was when my day started. No, I couldn't go out because the wind and rain was just too strong. Called Joanne and was chatting with her. Thought of the gym and looked downstairs, the wind billowing, trees swaying from side to side. No one downstairs, so Angsana Spa and the gym were canceled too. Sat at home and started my telly watching and somewhat cleaning of the home from 10ish.

Evening came, stayed at home. Didn't even dare to go out for class as I had this fear that the bridge might be closed and the ferries and buses might stop running and I'll be screwed. So it was home with Babe and Happy. We had a good day just hanging out and watching telly.

While I was watching telly and Babe doing work, I watched Jon and Kate plus 8. I remembered one of the episodes that Cara and Maddy planned games for the family and everyone had so much fun. It brought me back to my memories of my childhood. When we were kids living in Pandan Gardens, we had the best times playing with our cousins. Dad had 10 siblings and us cousins are quite close as we grew up together. Uncle Albert, dad's third brother, lived the next block to us, and it was at his home or our home that the cousins would just go mad. There were times that we went to Uncle Steve's to play and hang out too.

Sure, we played our girlie toys like Barbie dolls and stuff like that. But the 'funnest' was playing Police and Thief and Hide and Seek. It was a riot! With Hide and Seek, we even invented our own version, it was called, Super Hide and Seek with the help of Tristan, our oldest cousin, he was known then as Ah Boy Kor Kor. So basically the seeker would go find the hiders and when the seeker finds the hiders, the hiders have to walk around with the seeker as he or she seeks others out but the twist of it is that, the hider can escape when the seeker is not looking to hide again. Each game lasts about 10 mins. It was so fun! I remember once we were looking for Jackie and we were yelling, 'Jackie, where are you?' and she answered, 'I'm here!' Course, she was found! Another time, someone hid her in a carton and we had problems finding her.

We were not just a bunch or neighbourhood kids that ran through the corridors like wild children. There were times that we sat down to read and share books with each other. I believe that our love for books and reading probably may be stemmed from childhood when we shared the books we read with each other. We probably had a mini library system amongst each other.

It was these times that we shared with our cousins that the bonds grew and bonded so tight that it does take a lot to pull us apart! I mean, even Eelynn and Jolynn who lived in Manila, we hung out only during their summer holidays but we're still very close. Each time I'm in States, I'll definitely see them. It's vice versa for them too. With Sharon, it's the same. We make sure that we try to see each other whenever its possible. Even though we may be countries and continents apart, the bonds will always be there. No matter whatever happens, we would rally around and help whenever we can. And I am very thankful for my cousins who are very supportive of our adoption journey.

I feel that we are truly blessed as a family. Yes, in our nuclear families, we are probably dysfunctional and lacking in some sense but with the big picture, there were always other uncles and aunties that would step in to guide us or be a role model for us. It was the same with our cousins. When I talk to my friends, most of them do not have such close bonds with their cousins and to me, it's just weird. And cousins, I love everyone of you!

No comments: