Monday, January 12, 2009

There is NO coincidences

Went to church yesterday and the guest speaker was preaching about meaning in life and that people, things, incidents, situation and basically everything in our lives do not happen by coincidence. There's more to it than just coincidence. Well, true, I believe that. Then I read Beth's Blog. She wrote about meeting someone at the grocery store. To me, wow, it was this nice story about God placing us in situations that He knows that there is someone out there in need and it would be nice for us to render that help, how little it may seem to us, but to the receiver, it's huge.

That got me thinking about my life. Being in Hong Kong where people come and go, friends and people can be very transient. Sure, there were people whom I called friends before and were very close to them and now, we don't speak much to each other for various reasons. But I'm sure that God brought them into my life for reasons that He knows and maybe I know too. But those moments passed and sure, there isn't a need for me to be in their lives now and we have moved on. Of course, there are now other people and situations in my life. I know that God makes no mistake in putting us in situations or even places. I remember taking the lift once to my old apartment, and my old primary school friend gathered all her courage to say hi and asked if I remember her. It was interesting as she moved to the next block the next week. If she didn't say hi or I had a meeting and didn't make it to the lift at that time, I wouldn't have been friends with her now.

I guess, all that I'm thinking in my head, how many people that I come across just need a little lift in their lives, it might just be even a hi, how are you, or just my time to have dinner with and I'm too self absorbed in my life to notice them? Or for those who I know need a little lift, have I given them that lift? Or have I crushed their souls further? But then, that brings me to the next question, what happens then when I'm being used like a doormat? Or when I being hurt by those that I've lent a helping hand to? But then....nothing is ever like an equation. Nothing ever evens out. And as long as I know that I've tried and that I guess is more important than anything else. Importantly, it's never about me. It about me being used as an instrument by God to help that someone in need.

No comments: