Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lives At Stake

Two nights ago, Babe and me were watching Channelnewsasia in Hong Kong. What unfolded before our eyes was almost like watching a movie. But the difference was that this was real and the hostages were tourists from Hong Kong visiting Manila. They were on their last day of their tour before a guy stormed up their bus and held them as hostages.

As we watched, I felt pain, sadness, anger and all sorts of emotions for the Hong Kong tourists. And what baffles me was the incompetence of the policemen. By the time the hostage taker was killed by a sniper, 8 hostages were killed. From a lay person's view, there were wasted opportunities in dealing with the hostage taker. And what made me madder was when the father of the hostage taker was crying on television saying that his son was a good man and whatever. Look, he took lives of innocent and he was a good man??? Gee!!!! Get real!

When I thought of my feelings and emotions, I realized that my solidarity is with the people in Hong Kong. I'm really beginning to see Hong Kong as my home and I really felt for the people. And by the way, do train up your policemen and your commandos to be more competent.

No comments: