Sunday, September 18, 2011

Timing

Time and time again, God has shown me that timing is always His and His alone. Be it late, early or on time, time is God's and He knows what's best for me.

A week or so ago, I was on my way to Sanatorium Hospital to get my eyes checked, a regular check for Lasik. I left work on time, I gave myself enough time, or so I thought, to get to the hospital. However, because of traffic, I was running late. I hate running late. I was more than 30 minutes late. Finally got to the hospital and had to wait for my turn. And waiting and waiting and I was thinking, 'Gee! I'm already more than 30 minutes late and then still got to wait!' Anyway, I had to suck it up. While waiting I overheard a patient speaking to the nurses. He sounded upset and worried. I heard a voice in my head to speak to the guy. I'm like, what? I don't even know him. Just speak to him. No, I'm not! Then the guy walked out and I was relieved! But then he turned back. And that was it. I tapped him on his shoulder and introduced myself as a fellow Singaporean. This is the first time that I've ever done this.

We sat down and chatted and then it was my turn to see the doc. And he waited for me and we chatted more. Not really going to share what we spoke about. But the gist of it, he thanked me and he said that he really needed someone to talk to. And he was thankful that he met a someone and even better, the someone was from his hometown.

I left the hospital deep in thought. Well, not really deep in thought but reflecting what had just happened. I hate being late and in being late, I met this guy. I met someone who needed my time. I could've walked away from the voice which I know is from the Holy Spirit and missed the opportunity to make a small impact on someone's life. But no, God had other plans. Yes, it is a small gesture from me but to this guy, he had tears in his eyes while speaking to me.

I'm learning that God speaks to me and in speaking to me, I've got an opportunity to be of a comfort to someone. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a missionary, or to go out and witness and share the gospel to someone but this is where I should be. A comfort to someone in need.

No comments: