Friday, September 30, 2011

Change of Perspective

Two weeks ago, Babe, Ba Ba (aka Cha Cha) and I were shopping in Lane Crawford. There was a bag that I saw and I liked. Babe was asking me if I wanted to buy it, I told him, I'll think about it. A week later, we walked past that bag again and he asked again if I wanted it. And I told him, I'll think till next week and if it's there, then I'll get it. He looked at me and shook his head and said, by next week, the bag will be gone. And my retort was, if it's gone, it's not meant to be.

Yes, I know, it's not very me. A year ago, I would have bought that bag in a second without thinking. But now, the thought process is taking a little longer than expected. Well, that's not just with bags, and it's extended to clothes and shoes now. I'm taking longer than expected to think if I really need or want that dress, bag, shoes and whatever that I want to buy. It's just not me anymore. I've got to think about Ba Ba. It's the same with lunching after church. We used to go to wherever we want and now, it's just limited to a few restaurants in IFC. But does this matter to me? No!

Even going to the gym, it's a toss up on most days. I've still got about two months left of my gym membership at a really nice gym but I've stopped going because I'd rather go to my little gym in our condo and do a mini 30 mins workout and then take Ba Ba on his little tricycle for a walk.

Yes, there have been little sacrifices that we've made for little Ba Ba but I don't care. I can go back to my fancy gym when he gets older. I don't need lots of clothes, bags and shoes. I'd rather put the money aside for Ba Ba's future and our future. I know what is it like to go to uni without money and I don't want Ba Ba to go through the same. But in saying that, we're not spoiling Ba Ba. He doesn't have loads of toys. The toys that he has are mostly given to him. His clothes might be the only expense but we get them on sale or when we see that he needs more. He has 1 pair of shoes at the stage and a few pairs of sandals. I'm glad that Babe is lot more grounded than me in this aspect. He reminds me that Ba Ba grows out of his stuff quite fast and we don't want him to grow up thinking that money falls from the sky. In saying or rather writing that, we are constantly trying or reminding and praying that we are raising a man that will be God fearing.

No comments: