Thursday, September 28, 2006

Eat to Live or Live to Eat

Another philosophical post....So readers be warned....I love to eat....Yes, love to eat!!! As you can tell from my size....But since going to the gym and trying to lose weight....I'm trying to move from living to eat to the eat to live side.

When everyone found out that I'm moving to Hong Kong, they are like....oh be careful with your eating....Yes, this is the greedy pigs' paradise and of course I'm in the greedy pig zone. I love food. Since living here for about 6 weeks, eating out.....is becoming an adventure. I'll go out to the restaurant and then look at the menu and I'm like....what do I want to eat because I can't read chinese. Take last night for an example. I went to Tsuen Wan with Michelle, thinking that we're going to explore the suburbs. Walking through Tsuen Wan looking at all the nice chinese restaurants and we're like....What should we eat? And guess what, we ended up at a sushi place because we know what we're eating and we don't have to deal with the wait staff. As much as I want to live to eat, it's not easy because I don't know how to read what I want to eat. It's to the point that I'm relying on my boss to help me order lunch everyday.

Then today, after gym, I was thinking about dinner....What should I have? Nothing in my fridge except for salad leaves and a piece of steak. Steak still in the freezer. I could have just ordered takeaway...but then again...for some reason, the urge to eat and gorge is not there as much as when I'm alone. So for dinner, I had an orange first, followed by salad and then a bowl of green bean soup. (Made with Mummy Angie's wonderful soup pot) Dinner alone seem to have evolved into a situation that I'm just eating to live. The urge to live to eat has somewhat diminished....But not complaining.....Can lose weight that way...

So what's the difference between live to eat and eat to live...The words are just scrambled the other way round.....Whenever I can't finish my food or when I chose to eat less carbo, I tend to feel guilty. I remember once living in Gold Coast and having dinner by myself. As usual I can't finish my food and I was watching TV while having dinner. There was a TV ad on donating to the poor kids in Africa. There was this line that I remember even after 10 years, 'The poor kids in Africa have nothing to eat that they eat poison berries.' I felt really guilty throwing out my food. So here in our wonderful lives in wonderful places where we live that we eat ourselves silly....think of the poor kids that eat to live and not live to eat......Gee, I sound like an ad for unicef....

On a brighter note.....the weekend is coming. And I'm glad. It'll be a good time to relax and chill out with my friends. And I had a good chat with Sharon today. Miss her heaps! And heard Marcia is popping her newborn soon. Tried calling her but her phone was off. Miss my some of my ex-colleagues a lot.

11.30 am

Hong Kong

No comments: