Thursday, September 07, 2006

Teaching Kids


Today has been a great day. I taught 2 classes of Primary 5. It has been great fun. I started with 5E. This class is great. With all the classes, I co-teach with a local teachers. In the beginning, I was a little hesitant and worried about teaching the kids. Was a little concern if the kids will get used to me. After all, Simon taught them for 3 years.

This is Simon, he's going to be in the school for another to help me ease into the school. The kids love him too. Some kids actually asked what will happen to him since I'm going to be teaching them from now onwards. Hopefully, I'm going to be as impactful as he has been to the kids.


This is my second class of Primary 5, 5C. For the both classes, we did the story, 'Who will be my Mother?' I love this story. But honestly, think this story might be a little simple for the kids. However, I like this story because I can infuse critical thinking into this lesson. A kid actually asked me, how can a boy be the mother of the lamb? I taught it was good as she was brave enough to ask the question. And that was what I really wanted from the kids.



The cute kids from my class. Even the classrooms are different from Spore. They use blackboards in the classroom. Something that I've not seen in many years, since when I was in primary school! I asked another net from another school and she reckons that blackboards are actually better for the eyes. Not sure about that, but I don't like the feel of a chalk...Think it's going to be a prob....


The kids discussing and working very hard for their Readers' Theatre. I haven't been in such a noisy class for a long time! I getting a little concern with the noise level. This is especially that the teacher that was co-teaching with me is the assistant head mistress. In other words, the vice-principal. After class, I spoke to her and her response was that as long as they are benefiting from my class and happy, that's all that matters! I was flabbergasted! Didn't expect that answer. And she went on saying that it was a good class.


The kids giving their presentation. It was great! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I did some reflections last night after having the first class with the kids and tried to make sure that I didn't make the same mistakes as the first class.

This is Simon. He has been such a great help. Will miss him when he goes back to his school. He really takes time with the kids. Almost everyday after school, while the kids wait to board the school bus, he takes time to sit down with a kid that's isolated from the kids. Apparently, the kid is just a tad naughty and Simon takes time to chat with him and listen to him. He really loves the kids.

On a separate note, I went to the gym today. Finally, to the gym after more than 18 months of missing gym....Boy, it was good but think I'm getting old, bones and muscles aching! Bad news, not going home at the end of Sept after all. Took too a long time to book the tickets and the prices of the tickets sky rocketed...Damn...oh well, things happen...Will miss my babe more.

10. 15 pm

Hong Kong

No comments: