Friday, May 23, 2008

Friends in a Transient Life

I'm sure I've blogged about friendships and friends in a transient life. Well, today is another one. Had dinner with Beth last night. And she's leaving. Another friend that is throwing in the towel for Hong Kong. As much as I'm sad to see her go, but I am glad for the decision that she has made.

In some ways, Beth and me are similar. We grew up in somewhat similar family environments and those environments and situations mould us to be what we are now. It was interesting when we realised that. It's a shame though as if we had more time, we would have made good friends. And to a certain extent, our views on certain issues are pretty black and white, clear cut and whatever you call it. And even her decision, would be a decision that I would make if I were in her shoes. She has decided to go back to fix what's important to her. I made that same decision more than 10 years ago. It was hard but necessary. And I am very proud and glad that she stopped herself in time from adopting because she knew that it wasn't time yet. It takes a lot of courage from a person to be able to take a step back and realised that it's may no work out, rather than to screw up an innocent child's life.

Over the 2 years in Hong Kong, friends have come and left. 2 left because of various reasons, one is leaving soon. Was disappointed in a couple of friends. But does that stop me from making friends? No! Because this is life. Sure, people come and go in our lives and if they are important enough, they'll stay as friends for life. But with some friendships, it does have their expiry dates as interests, views, and whatever don't match. And I move along. And disappointments, sure, there's disappointments, the time invested in the friendships and what comes out of it? Well, there are times that I feel taken advantage of and that the friendship was on not on equal footing, did that matter to me? Sure, it did but, that's life. We learn and let go. Babe, always say that I'm a sucker, but I'd rather be a sucker and then realise that I've made the wrong friend than not to give the person a chance.

A mistake I made when I came to Hong Kong, was to try to replicate certain friends that I had in Spore or States in Hong Kong. And guess what, that blew up right in my face! And I can't believe that I can be that stupid! Haven't I realised that everyone is made differently?

Anyway, I still have faith in friendships in a transient life. I have met some really nice friends along the way and they are the reasons why I still believe in friendships. Babe is away for the weekend and this weekend is 'friendships catching up' time.

No comments: