Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Things that Irk Me about Singapore

There are things about Singapore that irk me, especially now that I live overseas. Somethings become more apparent even though I wished that I wouldn't have these feeling about my country. Don't get me wrong. I love being a Singaporean. I'm proud to be one and don't think I'll ever trade my citizenship for another. Don't ever foresee myself doing that unless something really drastic happens. But seriously, for now, no, I am still happy and proud to be a Singaporean.

The rising cost in Singapore really irks me. As the Singaporean government announces that Singapore is slipping into recession, they are raising public transport costs, not dropping power bills even though petrol prices have come down. Before heading to States over summer, i was thinking of flying to States out of Singapore but didn't do it eventually, because the service charge and tax alone is close to SIN$1000. When I brought this up to someone whom I know who works in the aviation industry, he mentioned that in HK, there is a cap to how much surcharge can be slapped onto a passenger but not in Singapore. Fine, I'll fly out of HK then.

Adding to that, Singapore Airlines has decided to charge passengers in economy class who want to sit at the exit row to pay more. What's this, finding ways to charge passengers more to increase their profits? And with the ever increasing ERP gantries, how will the average Singaporeans survive? Seriously, I feel sorry for the heartlanders....

Having said all these, don't forget, I still love my country. But just am disappointed. But maybe I don't know enough or I'm just an ignorant girl....

No comments: