Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Money

A couple days ago, I received a letter from the church that I attend in HK. It was a tax receipt. And it got me thinking. I admit wholeheartedly that I'm terrible with money. Seriously terrible and I'll do good with money management classes. It's only in the last couple of years that I'm learnt better control and management my money.

When I first started working after graduation, it was such joy to get a real salary. With such great joy, came elation at shopping. And with the elation, savings never happened but credit cards debts grew. Honestly, it never really mattered. I just enjoyed my buying. I never really had enough money for God. Rather, I gave God whatever that I had leftover of each month. I started to wonder why don't I really have savings and what was really my tithing to God. It wasn't even 10 percent that's stipulated in the bible. It was whatever that I had in my wallet.

Having written all that, it was only moving to Hong Kong and being committed to really giving to God that I saw my little savings grow a little. It was different this time round. I told myself that God has given me so much and I'm just returning Him a small portion of what He has given me. It was then that I saw my savings growing and my debts getting smaller. And me getting happier. So going back to the tax receipt that I received, well, the figure could've been bigger. And that serves a reminder to me. God doesn't need money from me. He owns the world! But rather, me giving to Him serves as a commitment and discipline on my part to put Him first in my life.

No comments: