Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Life isn't fair

When I was a kid, there were times that I used to get into trouble for things that weren't really my fault and I would tell my mum that it's not fair! And very often her reply was, life is just isn't fair! Fast forward to many years later. I remember being a class teacher of a primary 3 class. One day, one of the kids said that I wasn't fair. And my retort was, life isn't fair and the sooner you learn and deal with it, you'll have a better life!

A few nights ago, we were at fellowship dinner with fellow Christians from Park Island and one of them was sharing and showing us pictures that he took on a mission trip with his students. As he shared, the same very thought came to my head. Life isn't fair! He was sharing about the little kids in Cebu and how their drug addict, glue sniffing parents have turned their little kids of probably less than 5 years into 'mini them'. I knew Cebu was bad as I was kinda affected by the kids when we visited a while ago. But to hear someone telling me that the kids were glue sniffing and smoking glue, that just broke my heart. Life is just so unfair. Why did they have to go through this? Do their parents have any conscience at all? They're probably too high and drugged out to care.

When I was back in Spore for JC's party, a friend asked me about our adoption. Yes, friends, it's still on. It's taking way longer that we expected but we believe, know, trust and understand that God is in control. This friend asked and even my brother in law asked, why adoption? The long wait, we could make one our own. And why should we give unconditional love to some kid that's totally unrelated to us. My answer was, these are the kids that need love because they have no one to love them. To my brother in law, I said, Jesus gave Himself unconditionally for me, He loves me unconditionally. His reply, but you're not Jesus. Yes, true, I'm not Jesus and neither will I ever be Him. To me, I know that He has called me to do this and that I feel for these poor kids. For now, this is my call. And Lord willing, someday, there will be a kid that He wants us to save, just like He saved me.

No comments: