Thursday, October 07, 2010

Till Death do Us Part

I resisted for the longest time to write about a certain person that died in Singapore. But then again after watching Channelsnewsasia last night, I could not longer resist.

To see a grown man or rather a man into his late eighties speaking at his wife's funeral with tears streaming down, barely holding himself and giving her kisses as he looked at her for the final time, really touched my heart. Here is a love story that spanned more than 60 years. I'm sure they had their ups and downs and issues that they had to work through. And yes, the cynical me wonder, was she that great of a woman? But while looking further, yes, she was in her own ways.

Babe has started work and getting dinner ready is left to me now. Two days in a row, dinner was not ready by the time be got home. No, no, he didn't throw a tantrum or demand his dinner. But inside me, I wanted dinner to be ready by the time he rang the doorbell. I wanted the apartment to be somewhat clean and tidy by the time he gets home and that includes me running off to the gym to get my 45 mins jog/ walk/ stroll in. But hate to say that I fail. She made wonder how did she manage to run the household and have a job and do everything. Sure, it's easy to say that she had help but then again, even with help, it's never easy.

One of her sons said that, his parents told him that in a marriage, never let the other party feel abandoned in crisis. That kinda hit me. Sure, there are ups and downs, richer and poorer and in sickness and in health, but anyone of these crisis can get one to walk away. And yes, sure, lots of people do that now. Marriage is just a piece of paper and if you don't like this piece, tear it up and sign another one. It's sad isn't it?

But isn't it great when there's a couple that showed that through it all, a marriage can work and love does sustain till death do us part.

No comments: