Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Postcard from my Childhood

I was thinking about writing when I stole this pic from my cousin's facebook photos but never got around to doing it till I read my other cousin's blog and she mentioned celebrating Christmas with my family. And then, ding, I had to write.

So this picture above was taken some many, many years ago in my home at Pandan Gardens when we were living there. From the looks of this picture, I must have been around six or seven years old. I remember the Christmas parties with my family and my cousins. It was always filled with loads of fun.


This was taken off my cousin's blog. Thanks Monster for sharing that. I truly believe that. Looking back, I don't even remember what I got when I was a kid. Oh yes, a Barbie doll and rest, I can't remember. But what stayed on was the memories of cousins running around, screaming in glee, playing, and yes, sometimes sipping or drinking our parents' beer. Those were the memories. And those memories created the camaraderie, love, friendship and importantly we feel connected even as adults now.

Looking at the picture, there are two cousins that I really miss heaps. One of them passed about a couple of years ago. And the saddest bit, I didn't even get to say goodbye. He left in such a hurry that he left everyone shellshocked. The other cousin, I don't know where he is. I miss him. I know his siblings miss him too and so do his kids. My parents miss him heaps. Really heaps. He's like a son to my parents and it's breaking my parents' hearts that they don't really know what's happening to him. Once in a while, dad grills me about this cousin. He thinks that this cousin might have emailed me but I'm not saying stuff. But cousin, if you're reading this, get in touch with my dad. He misses you. Do you know that Joanne has a baby now? Little JC would love to meet you. Wherever you are, drop me an email.

Monster, thanks for writing about the Christmas we spent together when I was 10 and you were 11. Didn't know that it had an impact on you. Looking back, it was probably that Christmas that kinda sealed our friendship. Oh Eelynn, you look really cute! Kinda reminds me of Leina.

This Christmas I'm going to be in HK getting my lasik done to my eyes. Going to miss Christmas like maybe the 3rd time of my life with my family. It's going to be a hard and cold Christmas. But.....I've got Babe. Babe is going to make things perfect! And yes cousins, miss those times when we were kids.

No comments: