Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Support

Last weekend, mummy, Joanne, Jacqui and little JC flew in for a visit. We had a great time. So thankful that they flew in since we've not been able to fly home for a visit recently.

It was really good to spend time with little JC. I've not seen her in person for about 2 months and was concerned that she might forget me and start crying when she sees me. But well, my fears were laid to rest real fast. When she saw me, she quickly warmed up and wanted me to cuddle and carry her. I miss her heaps.

We met up with Adrian and Cindy for lunches. We've probably know Adrian for more than 25 years. They recently have a baby too. When we were out having lunch, Adrian brought up the issue of support. He said that Joanne has lots of support with little JC and that's important as a family. And he and Cindy on the other hand is lacking that. I could see where he's coming from. Being in Hong Kong without family, can be quite isolating at times. Even me, without kids, sometimes when things happen and Babe is not around, I do feel isolated. I wonder, what more about the Tans and their newborn. It must be hard at times for them.

After everyone left, I was left with the thought of support. When Babe was away, it was nice of the Tans to text to invite me out for lunches and stuff. I had Plus group as support too. And my group of girlfriends that ring every once in a while to get me out for dinners. But of course there were times I still feel that it would be nice to have more support around. But in having said that, I look back at my life and think of the times that I've moved in Australia and my move to Hong Kong. Without having lots of support, I've become quite an independent person. And I'm glad for the experiences that I've been through.

That brought me to the next thought, isn't it ironic that sometimes too much support is not good for a person? I've met ladies who are so strong and then they fall in love and get married and then suddenly they morph into a person that I no longer recognize. They lean on to their husbands for everything. Their husbands become their support and they lose their personalities. And I wonder, what happens when they partner dies?

Anyway, some of my random thoughts. Oh yes, I've noticed too, most of my close girlfriends are fiercely independent. And yes, couple of them, can literally move mountains! And yes, I do wish that I'm more like them! Next step, time to learn how to use the power drill!

No comments: