Friday, November 12, 2010

Roots

The word 'roots' has been in my mind for a couple of days. Actually, since my cell group leader asked me to lead in bible sharing and thereafter she texted and asked if I wanted to serve in kids' ministry. She's the children's pastor in the church that we're attending.

The truth of the matter, our lives in HK has been always measured in terms of two years. I keep telling myself, I'm just going to be here for two years, then the two years almost passed and then, ya, maybe just another two years. And I've never really sought out actively to serve in any church that we've been attending. About a year and half ago, we started to attend a cell group and that's when bits of roots started taking place. This cell group became my prayer support. And the support became more apparent when Babe moved back to Singapore for work and now that Babe is back, they are my prayer support with our adoption.

I've never really participated in any other church building other than our home church in Singapore. And now in HK, we're given an opportunity, I am quite excited to see a church come together to build a home. It's exciting to be part of a church building. And yes, when I was asked to help in kids' ministry, I know that's God telling me, grow roots.

On the other hand, I wonder, Lord, how long more in Hong Kong before we're meant to move again? Babe has an agreement with his current work that he'll be moved to Singapore to start up the operations in Singapore and the Asean region next summer. And in my mind, Lord, you know, what's the point of growing roots and then to be uprooted in less than 2 years? But from what I'm getting from God, no, child, not yet. Just grow those roots and we'll talk again. Yes, I'm bewildered. Babe had a couple of calls from Singapore without him sending his resumes about jobs in Singapore. Well, offers doesn't seem bad and then, I'm wondering, roots? What roots?

But I believe that God always has a greater plan. Like what I shared in cell group last night, do I plan for God or God plans for me? Very often, I want to have my 5 year plan and say, God this is what I want and you pan this out for me! It's almost like a demand. But the reality is that when I do actually sit down and ask, God, what is it that you want me to do with my life? What's the direction that you want me to take? Where do you want me to be? I admit, I'm impatient and yes, God has been teaching me patience. And that seems to be the story of my life. But do I mind? Truth, yes I do, when I'm in the process of 'patience learning' but when I'm not in it, I appreciate it. I appreciate that God made sure that Babe and I had a long courtship. That built a foundation in our marriage and sure, when we were dating, I was wishing that we could have gotten married earlier. But God always have better plans and His ways are always higher than ours. Anyway, I digress as usual. So roots, there you go, I'm growing some but at the same time, this is going to be the longest time that I'm going to be away from Singapore. I'm getting a little homesick. Do wish to a certain extent that I'm heading home for Christmas. Well, God has his plans.

No comments: