Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Sickness and in Health

Recently a good friend of mine in Hong Kong was hospitalised. I was on the way to class when I recevied a text from her boyfriend that she was hospitalised. Of course, my heart skipped a beat and was worried for her. But I had class to go. Went to class, felt quite unsettled and at break time, made a run and went right to the hospital.

Saw her in the hospital, another of our friend was already there spending time with her. Her boyfriend had to go and get some stuff for her. Seeing her lying on the bed got me wondering about things. As usual, I think bloody too much. She was sick, didn't look too good but her spirits were up. She was surrounded by friends that probably made too much noise and were laughing away at silly jokes. Her boyfriend came back and joined in the fun. Not sure if it was really fun for the other patients because we made far too much noise. Am glad that she met this wonderful guy that did everything that he could to take care of her. And it also helped that he speaks Cantonese.

But as I left, I pondered and wondered......I'm used to living alone and now that Babe goes away so often, what would I do in case of an emergency like that? Would I know what to do? Do I know how to get to hospital and be able to converse in Cantonese when I'm in pain? And, importantly, do I have enough money to see me through private hospital? Got home and told Babe to make sure that his work insurance covers the both of us. And I thought, when I'm in hospital, will I be like my friend who was surrounded by 'her family' in HK? And my scariest thought, at my funeral, will they be people that turn to say goodbye and we'll miss her or will it be few and people saying, good riddance!

Got me thinking about life. Am I living a life that would make leave positive impacts on people around me? Am I making a difference to people around me? Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for praise or like, wow, she's such a great person. Honestly, I don't care for all those praise but i want to lead a life that is of a positive impact, influence to people that are around me. I don't want to lead a life with regret. This friend of mine, she's a wonderful person and I love her company and she made me think of my life. Thanks, hun!

And this Monday, Lehman Bros collapse, Merrill Lynch is being bought out, AIG in trouble. In other words, money troubles around the world. Got me thinking, so what with money? Bad time comes, it goes. And things happen. What's the point of hoarding or envying others and wanting more and then more is never enough? Money is just money. If I have more, good. If I have less, well, that's fine. Doesn't really bother me. But just don't take away my Babe. Take everything away from me but not my Babe. I told a friend once, if I had to choose between whatever that I have now and Babe, take everything from me, I just want my Babe. Money can always be earned again but it'll take me more than a lifetime to find another Babe.

No comments: