Saturday, September 20, 2008

In Times Like These

So now we may have a financial turmoil lurking around in the corner and in China and parts of Asia we have a milk scare that's going on. What's going on? Why are things like these happening? Well, in my humble opinion, one word, GREED. The filthy five letter word. So filthy and disgusting that well, the financial industry is reeling from the yo-yo madness, people jobless or on the verge of losing their jobs with the possibility of being homeless. With the milk scare, there are at this point of time, 4 babies dead and more than 6000 sick.

Apparently there may be more banks going down and governments around the world are trying their best to hold the economy up. Lines are forming outside AIA offices to get their policies terminated. Well, thank God, I don't have policies with them. But reality is that even if AIA may be fine but with everyone rushing to terminate and cash out their policies, they may very well collapse. A fine example of self fulfilling prophecy. And the irony of it, these people bought insurance polices to safeguard their money and to pay for their illness when and if the need arrives and now.....fear grips them. And I wonder, have they put their trust in the wrong person?

I guess the sub prime thingy has finally hit hard. From what I understand, in my limited understanding of financial matters, people basically overstretched themselves. Everything went on credit from home mortgage to car to renovations, to everything in the house. What came in every month was barely enough to pay for everything. People became greedy and money became their idol. Well, I'm not judging anyone because I'm part of the crowd too. But what does all these bring for us? I'm happy to say that I've learnt my lesson from spending way too much and am still learning to have a better perspective of money to letting it go for better use and also not let it fritter away.

And the milk madness in China? Greed led some people, don't know who they were, that added melamine to diluted milk to cheat and in the processes kill babies or get them sick. It's greed and greed and more greed! Wonder if these people feel guilt that they have caused death and hurt these poor babies.

At class today, I had a discussion with the kids about money and if money brings happiness. Well, honestly, it doesn't. Families, friendships, and relationship break down and split up because of money. Sure money is great but there are more important issues than money. I remember Pastor Mark said that if you're not contented when you have enough and you won't be contented when you have more. To me, that's pretty true. I remember once a friend said to me that all her rich friends are happy and I guess she's probably trying to say she'll be happy if she had more. But the reality is that money does and will not bring us happiness. I know that because I've been through it. People have turned to worshipping money and therefore the mayhem is here, on the way, or whatever. It's the consequences that we're paying for now.

With my life so far, I'm glad and very thankful with what I have now. I've been blessed with plenty and I'm not hankering for more. Over these couple of years in HK, I've been learning money lessons. Yes, I still have a shopping habit and I still love beautiful things but I'm learning not to want and have it all. I'm learning to put aside for a rainy day and also for our future abode in Singapore. We sold our flat and we want to buy a home sometime next year or whenever. And I still live with the constant reminder from myself that I'm blessed with loads of love and having money is always a bonus that has been bestowed upon me.

No comments: