Friday, November 13, 2009

Daring to Dream a Dream

Duane Ho is one of my favourite ex students. Well, I'm very selective about my favorite ex-students and he's one of them! I first taught him when he was probably in P5 or maybe earlier. I can't really remember, getting old, I guess. He came across as this really nice and talented boy at that time. I remember his mother inviting me to his church performance and boy was I blown away by his singing and acting.

We kept in touch even when he left the school, and when I moved to Sydney to do my masters and even now. We have built a relationship, him and his mum too. And might I add that she's one good cook and a great and nurturing mum too. I remember one summer when I was back, Duane and his mum invited me to their place for tea. Duane played the piano and sang for me. And I found out that he only picked up playing the piano recently.

Anyway, this summer when I was back, and I found out that he was in Spore Idol, I was totally rooting for him. He did tell me that he wanted to join Spore Idol and he went ahead and did it! He's young and he had the guts. And what made him special was that, he's not your typical idol. The skinny, handsome and stylish kind. Sorry, Duane, not putting you down or anything like that, but Duane is your average Sporean. The boy next door. The cute chubby boy whose not afraid to be himself. And he's not going to conform to the world's standard or rather Spore's standard of an idol. He's just him. Very him. Not caring what the world or Spore thinks. And I love him for that.

To me, Duane, you had the courage to dream a dream and not just sitting there and dream. You went ahead to make that dream come true. And so what if Spore didn't make you an idol. Who cares? Because in my point of view, you already became an inspiration to many people. And importantly, you became an inspiration to me. Dream a dream and really going out there to make that dream a reality!

People, enjoy Duane!


No comments: