Saturday, November 07, 2009

If You're Not Happy Now, What Makes You So Sure That You'll Be Happy Later

On Wednesday, we went to listen to Nick speak. One thing he said that really struck me was this. He said that if you're not happy now, you're not going to be happy later. He gave the analogy of a child at 8 thinking that when he's 16, he'll be happy and then when he's 16, he thinks that when he gets to uni he'll be happy. When he gets to uni, he thinks when he starts working, he'll be happy. And so on. Well, it does seem that happiness does seem illusive then.

What he said is so true. If you're not happy, what makes you so sure that when you get more money, more food or more of whatever you want, it'll make you happy. Happiness comes from now, within and from Christ. That's my belief. I know this for a fact. I used to love to shop. And it's no secret with my family and friends. Whenever I'm a little upset or feeling down, I'll hit the stores. And after buying I'll be a little happier. But the stuff that I buy, can be sitting in the paper bags for like days, weeks or even months. And then, when my credit card bill comes, I feel even worse and the cycle continues.

Expensive lesson and it's over time that I realized that I don't need to buy anymore to make me happy. I need to be happy with myself and thus there wouldn't be a need to buy. Well, it's not that I don't buy anymore, I still. But they are no longer emotional purchases.

1 comment:

HaLLoweeN said...

hmm... got me pondering too...