Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mid Year Stocktake

No, this is not a mid year stocktake sale or anything like that. But rather, me taking stock of my life so far.

In the past 6 months, I've taken 15 flights. That's the most number of flights that I've flown in any 6 months of my life. That's counting flights to Spore for Christmas, Chinese New Year, Easter and then a short trip to Phuket over Easter, 3 weekend trips to Singapore and a weekend trip to Manila with the girls. That's a lot of flying for me. Yes, I've got a slight phobia of flying. Plus, I've been flying back to Spore quite a bit to see Babe. Thankfully, after August, I won't be flying that much anymore. It'll be nice to have Babe home.

That brings me to the next point. Babe and me. Babe left for Singapore in December last year. We have been doing the flights back and forth in the past 6 months. The long distance marriage made us a lot more appreciative of each other. In some ways, the constant flying and meeting each other adds the excitement and the butterflies in the tummy for me. We've been talking about what we want and what's going to happen after summer. So here is the thing, Babe had a nice bonus last week. Sure, it's tempting to want to stay. And if he does stay to the end of the financial year, he'll probably get a fat bonus. But the reality is that, do we put money and career above our marriage. I let Babe make his decision and he knows whatever decision he makes, I'll be supportive of him.

So what's for me then? I've told my school that I'll be renewing my contract with them for another two years. Of course before making that decision, I talked over with Babe and he felt that it wasn't time for us to head back to Singapore. He'd quit his job in Singapore and come back to Hong Kong to join me. Sure, that made me happy because the reality of it is that I'm not ready or don't think I'll ever be ready to work for my ex-employer again. What started to be a 2 year journey is became 4 years and now, 6 years and don't ask me how long more? I don't know.

I believe that God has a reason for us to be in Hong Kong. I was ready to pack up and leave Hong Kong if Babe told me that he wanted to stay in his job in Spore and wants me to move back. But that didn't happen and I believe that God has a purpose for it. Well, in some ways we know what one of the many reasons is. But on the other hand, we can see the reasons ourselves. I'm truly happy attending church in Hong Kong. I get up with a bounce on Sundays when in HK and love attending church and been spiritually refreshed. There's a lovely caregroup that we're a part of. And the truth of the matter, I'm seeing that whenever I'm out of my comfort zone, when I live out of Singapore, I tend to walk closer to the Lord. And maybe that's why God wants us out of Singapore for the time being.

So what's installed for us for the next 6 months? I don't know. But you know what, I'm excited! I love the journey that we're on. And am very thankful for every moment of it!

No comments: