Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6 Years + 6 Years

In my professional life (huh, that sounds so nice and glamourous) or rather in my working life since graduating from uni, I've only two employers. And it's interesting that my employment with my current employer is ending in a few weeks and it would be six years that I worked with them too. But the both sets of 6 years are vastly different.

The first 6 Years
The first 6 years of my working life was quite different from the next six years. At that time, I was young and just done with teachers' college and in my mind, I was going to be the best teacher and change the lives of the many students that I'll come across. In the first year, I worked really hard, churned out lots of worksheets, did the best for my kids and at the same time, tried to please my superiors. And the next year I did the same. And at the same time I wanted to be friends with my colleagues and have a 'family' there. I was really consumed with work and it became a situation that I was spending lots of time at work and with my colleagues. The third year rolled along and then fourth year. By then I was married and still doing what I thought would please my superiors. But how wrong was I. Soon, I was getting burnt out. Then the gossips and the backstabbing of colleagues. Plus, I wasn't getting the recognition that I wanted. Yes, I did want recognition and promotion. And what became worse was the jealousies and the favoritism that was played out openly among the management. So when the opportunity came for me to take a step back and do my masters, I did. I went and had a whale of my time and then came back thinking that I was going to be refreshed and conquer the world or rather the school again. But that fell flat on my face. I realized that I was not happy. And it was time for me to go. And thankfully, God opened the way to Hong Kong.

There were lessons that I learnt. The most important lesson that I learnt was that not all colleagues can be friends. That was something that I learnt hard. There were colleagues that I called friends but these were the colleagues that would not hesitate to send me up to be the sacrificial lamb. And the same for superiors. After leaving my employer, whenever I head back for holidays, I'm very careful who I meet. Ex-colleagues that do not deserve my time and energy, I don't bother. But the ex-colleagues that I meet, are the ones that I call them friends. The next important lesson that I learnt, I can never please my superiors enough and that I'm not irreplaceable. I can be replaced anytime.

The next 6 Years
So when Hong Kong came knocking, I was glad to go. Guess it was the time that I felt very drained and burnt out and it came to a point that if I didn't go, my marriage would have suffered and I would become one of those bitter teachers. Plus the money was almost twice of my salary then. So the initial plan was to pack up and leave for two years without Babe. Well, God had other plans. He provided Babe a job and we've been in HK for close to six years now. But my six years with my current employer is very different. The lessons learnt from the first six years were very crucial and important. I learnt not to make those mistakes. I took time to make friends. I wasn't desperate in making friends and I wasn't wanting to please my superiors. I did what I had to do and said no to stuff that I didn't want to do and I even had time to spend with my family. My family became first. I had more time with Babe, and now Ba Ba. My priorities shifted. Don't get me wrong, I didn't shortchange my employer but rather I became focused in what I want. And now that I'm leaving my employer, I feel a slight sense of sadness and reluctance. But I know that it's for the better.

The biggest lesson that I learnt here was to take time for myself. I had time to indulge in the things that I like to do. I've time to bake and cook and now, go for decorating classes. I've got time to travel to places that I want to go and to see people that I want to see. And in doing these things, I don't feel the burnt out. I actually enjoy going to work every day. And with friendship with my colleagues, I'm more cautious. I'm more cautious in making friends and I don't want to listen to gossips or get involved in gossips. And because of the language barrier, this works in my favor.

So the question is.....since life is pretty good with my current employer, why rock the boat and leave for a new employer? Well, I asked myself the same question. But in praying, God told Babe and me that it's time to go. It's time to go to a new school. We'll still be in HK but I'll be in another school. And I'm very excited for the next two years and who knows, possibly the next six years.

Meanwhile, enjoy the pics of my latest hobby.





No comments: