Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Deaths

This is just the third week of January and already I've received news of the passing of two persons that I knew in Singapore. Wonder if there are more deaths to come this year. Yes, I'm getting a little morbid again.

Well, last week, mum told me that an acquaintance that I knew from church passed on. She's actually the mother of Joanne and Joe's good friends, Jon Nair's mother. Joanne and Joe hang out with Jon and Selena quite a bit and of course Joanne and Joe spent time with the family. Apparently she passed on suddenly. It was pretty sudden that Jon and Selena had to fly back from the UK to attend to the mum's funeral.

Yesterday, on msn, Babe told me that mum called in the morning to tell him that Uncle David passed on. Babe told me and for the moment I was kinda stunned. Uncle David was dad's cousin and was the son of our favourite granduncle. He was quite close to us. It was just six years ago that I attended the funeral of his older brother. Feel sad for my granduncle. It must be hard for him to see his sons leave before him. I called mum last night and asked what happened to Uncle David and she said that basically he had a heart attack and he collapsed over his son. His poor son must have been scared to death as well.

These deaths got me thinking about life. Honestly, we never know when our time on Earth is really up. Uncle David had chest pains, he went to the doctor and the doctor sent him home and the next time, he collapsed dead. Guess it was the same with Grandpa, we saw him in the afternoon and less than an hour after getting home, we got a call that he's gone. Life is truly fragile. And it made me wonder if I have lead a life that's worthy. Have I lived my best or am I living my best? Am I leading a Christian life that's worth to be called a Christian? I know I can be mean and horrid and it's time to learn to be nicer to people and have no regrets. But it can be hard. How can I be a better person? At my funeral, would people be glad that I'm finally gone, good riddance that she's dead! Or would I actually be missed by people? Has my life be of good impact on others? Or have I been a negative energy to people around me?

Lots of thoughts running through my head. I need to learn to live a better life and be a positive energy to people around.

No comments: