Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Peanut is Dying

Peanut has been sick for a couple of days. He was already a little sick when we left Singapore. Last night, mum texted to say that Peanut was really sick. He has kidney and liver failure. For those who don't know. Peanut is one of our family dogs. You probably know it by now that I love dogs since I was brought with in a family filled with dogs. Peanut is one of my favourite dogs.

When Peanut was born, I was not in Singapore. I was still studying in Australia. Think I was only in my first year at uni. That goes to show how old Peanut and I are! Peanut's mummy is Blackie. Blackie decided to walk out one day and never to return. We guess, she went off to die. Peanut was born with Billy. The first time I met Peanut and Billy was when my family picked me up from the airport and my sisters brought the puppies in a basket to the airport. They were so so cute! Tammy is Peanut's father. He died of a stroke about 6 years ago. Yes, I had and still have quite a number of dogs. About 3 years ago, Gummie, that's my dog, died too. Sure, I was sad but Gummie led a long life. She was always running away. She was given to me by Babe, my then boyfriend and my dad.

Dogs and animals have played a huge part of my life. They are still a part of my life. When I was growing up, the first dog I had was Pammy. I can't remember how old was I when Pammy was given to us. She was this beautiful poodle. So smart and clever. She would not pee or poo in the home. If she needed the toilet, she would bring her leash to us telling us to bring her down for a walk. We went on a short holiday to Malaysia and when we got back, the family that was looking after Pammy told us that she ran away! Boy was I heartbroken! Apart from Pammy, we had hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, fishes and terrapins for pets. We had a mini zoo. Dad believed that children who grow up with pets, tend to be more loving people. Don't know how true is that.

Anyway, I'm digressing. It's hard when a pet dies. I can't imagine what or how will I feel if something happen to Hobbit or Happy. I remember when my Pigsy, my guinea pig, who was really sick, I burst into tears in the reception area of the vet! Imagine a twentysomething person crying! It's hard you know. Joanne and mum was telling me that Peanut might have to be put to sleep because he is suffering quite a bit. Although I am reluctant for them to do that, I think it might be the best thing for them to do. Less sufferings for poor Peanut.

No comments: