Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God's Providential Hand

Last Sunday at church, Pastor Mark mentioned about God's Providential Hand. He mentioned something like when God weaves things together in a way that it seems coincidental, it's like God taking care of things and making things work for us. It was a sermon about being content in our lives. He also mentioned that if we can't be content when we're poor, how then can we be content when we're rich? Which is so true because when is enough ever enough then?

What was also interesting after that was that a friend told me that she was meant to be on the greyhound bus that a man decapitated another man. This just happened over the summer in Canada. She didn't get on the bus for some reason and now, she understands. After her sharing that with me, I thought about a couple of things. I told Carmen about the earthquake that shook California and at that time, I was meant to be in Jo's place but I decided to go there a day earlier. And also, I took the greyhound bus the day before I heard about the greyhound news in Canada. She said, 'Wow, someone must be looking out for you.' And yes, the someone is God.

Babe called today and he told me that he won't be back tomorrow but instead next week. Well, I'm fine with that as it'll give me time to be alone and do more stuff. Then he told me that maybe we should push the adoption to January as he will be travelling quite a lot for the next 3 months. Sure, my heart dropped a tad but I understood that he had a point. Yes, work is important for him but that extra time will give us more time to prepare, to learn and understand what is it really like to look after another human being.

As I was disappointed, I felt drawn to what Pastor Mark said about God's Providential Hand. I was reminded that we prayed and we both understood that we're leaving everything in God's hands. I did a google on God's Providential Hand and this link came up, http://www.preachingtoday.com/sermons/outlines/livingontheedgewhateverhappens.html.
I had a read through and yes, that's what I told God and myself I'm going to do. I'm going to be living on the end edge of whatever happens. That's sums up my life. So why then was I disappointed? I love the analogy that the author of the sermon wrote about cakes. That's so true, He takes different parts of our lives to make it great.

Life is lived forward and understood backward. That is such a powerful statement. Well, it is always upon reflection that we understand why our lives turn out this way. There has been many times that I've wondered when I was going through issues in my life that I wonder why, why God. But when I look back, I understand. And even little things like last Chinese New Year, I booked my ticket to Lombok but Babe couldn't get his ticket and the trip had to be postponed to Easter, and then a few weeks later, we understood why. His boss at the last minute informed him that he was going to be in Spore.

So, there I have it. God works in ways that I don't know but I know that He sees the big picture. And that's going to be my life, I'm going to live on the edge of whatever happens because I know He holds tomorrow. That's one of my favourite songs even though I hardly sing it now and hardly hear it too. Miss my Youth Fellowship days in Galilee.

No comments: