Saturday, August 02, 2008

Homelessness

As of yesterday, I told Joanne and Jacq that I've retired or resigned from my shopper cum buyer job. Enough of shopping, walking around, thinking and contempalating. Done so much shopping to the point that the ladies at Coach outlet already know me! It's a little embaressing you know....It was great workouts though. Did my cardio from all the walking and my weights from carrying the shopping bags. I told Joanne last night that she better treat me to a massage when I get back to Spore.

Today was going to be a day of chill out, watch some telly and hang out with Coco. But horror of horrors.....The telly didn't work today! Well, the telly did work but the cable didn't work and the telly is connected to the telly. In other words, no telly! So what did I do? I brought Coco out for walks. 2 already, and they were long walks. She's so tired now that she just collapse on the ground. Maybe in another hour or so, I'm going to bring Coco for another walk.

Well, coming to States, I've observed somethings that stares at me right in the eye. Homelessness. It's quite glaring in the eye. I told Bruno and my cousins this,'You'll know that you're in San Francisco when you see the homeless people around.' I don't think I've seen that many homeless people around in a city before. Even in San Diego, there are also homeless people right around the block. Maybe I've been too consuming in my little world to actually notice the homeless people or I refuse to acknowledge and ignore when I see the homeless people and it's this trip that I'm beginning to see more.

When I was in San Francisco, I was chatting with Sharon about the homeless people. She mentioned that in the past New York City had lots of homeless people but recently when she went there, it's all cleaned up. She reckons that the homeless people may have moved to San Francisco. And in my little bird brain mind, I'm like how? It's cross country, you know? But this is not the first time that I've heard about that. My lecturer at Sydney University said the same thing. I was like, so....did the governor at that time, rounded up the homeless and chartered a bus for them? Or rather a couple of buses?

When I arrived in San Diego, I did see the homeless people too. But not as many as in San Francisco. I guess they are homeless. It's just that they are homeless and some of them may suffer from a mental illness. Anyway, as I chatting with Eve, I mentioned the move 'The Pursuit of Happyness' and how Chris Gadner made it even though he was homeless and his wife must be kicking herself for letting him go. But Eve said this, maybe he became successful because his wife left him. Maybe it was that push factor that he determined to work really hard to get where he is now.

Eve also mentioned that some of the homeless people basically suffered an mental illness. And I wonder, why don't they seek help or why can't the government take care of them. They're probably too pennieless to seek help. But my take on it, maybe they enjoy being in their own world. This world, stress of the world will not weigh upon his shoulders.


No comments: