Monday, August 04, 2008

Weighty Issues

America is a very interesting place. I love it for it's food, clothes, people and some other stuff. But there's one thing other then homeless people that got me thinking. There are people in America that's like huge, seriously huge. Like more than thrice of me! Shocking hun?

Well, I was talking to Jolynn and said that. In Asia, you're forced to lose weight. In HK for example, its hard for me to buy local designs or cheap clothes because basically, I'm too big for them! In other words, too fat to fit into their largest. So most of my clothes come from overseas brands. There are months that I don't buy clothes because I hate walking around the malls and then feel fat because I can't fit into any clothes. And if I know that I'd be heading to the States, I'll hold off buying. So in other words, clothes in Asia, forces one to be slim! But in America, one can be size 6 in university, and then when one goes to work, one can move up to 8 or 10. After a marriage, size goes up to 12 or 14. After having kids, size can go up till out, size 20? So, there's clothes to buy and well, why bother to lose weight then.

That brought me back to my childhood. When I was much younger about 9 or 10, Dad put me on a diet. Sure, I was mad. Why couldn't I eat whatever I want. Dad controlled my carbs and had to explain to me over and over again that I was gaining way too much weight. Now, when I look back. I do thank Dad for teaching me self-discipline with food. But in growing up, I had weight issues. After undergrad, I put on like maybe 10 kgs for reasons that I'd rather not talk about. Guess, metabolic slows down after 20. Then, I had to put myself on a regime of gym and healthy eating. I was living at home and it was easier as I could tell the maid to get ready certain drinks and food for me. It worked out pretty well when I combined gym with my diet. Then before the wedding, I went to a slimming centre as I was running around way too much to have to deal with gym as well. Slimming centre was great as it was my nap time whenever I got there.

But as age catches up, it is reality that metabolic rate works against us. For the past couple of years, even before I came to Hong Kong, I did go to the gym to work out. But it came to a point of time that I realised that I needed help. I went to see a doctor in Singapore around Christmas last year when I thought there was a wart on my face. She's a pretty well known aesthetic doctor. A really nice, down to earth and great doctor I must add. She removed the wart which actually was an oil seed. And we chatted about weight management. I am very thankful that I've a very supportive husband who loves me regardless of my weight. He paid for my doctor's visit along with medication. Am very thankful that we are able to afford her.

Well, in all honesty and reality losing weight is not just about looks. At my age, weight to me, signifies health. I've small feet and years of abuse with 4 inch heels, have taken a toll on my knees and have been told to lose weight or my knees will suffer more. I don't want to end up with diabetics, high cholestral, heart issues and a whole range of stuff. Yes, call me vain or whatever, but I know that in time to come, I don't want to have a barrel of health issues. Beauty will fade, we all know that. And in time to come, people will come up to me to tell me to dress my age! Health is more important. We all know that obesity brings on a whole range of health issues.

I remember in my mid teens till after undergrad, I never had chicken rice, char kway teow, chocolates and a couple of other stuff. I had a list of 'must not eat' list. Even fries, I didn't eat for a long time. But then again, what's life if there's so much that I couldn't eat? Anyway, being away from Singapore also intensified those cravings for Chicken Rice and Char Kway Teow. But, I've learnt to let go and eat in moderation and then pay back with exercise.

As we all know, if one took 8 kgs in 3 months, one can gain it all back or even more in like 1.5 months! So....time for me to hit the gym and pool when I head to Spore. And yes...for the record, lunch, hotdog from baseball game, dinner, was one of the yummiest burgers that I've had in a long time. Very yummy fries too!

No comments: