Saturday, August 16, 2008

Aspirations and Bonds

This trip back to Singapore has been very fruitful. No, I have not been buying up anything yet...But what I meant is the time that I've spent catching up with people. It was nice to catch up with ex colleagues. I do miss working with them and having those relationships, but I do NOT miss the workload. It's nice to know that some of my ex colleagues who have become friends are doing well and are happy. At the same time, I am worried for a couple of them who seemed to be very stressed out. But I know, in time, they will be fine. Glad to have met up with Pat as well. She's probably the only friend that I still keep in contact with from NIE.

Yesterday, I had tea with Duane and his mum at their home. Duane was one of my students that I taught in WDP. I'd probably say that he was one of my favourites. I taught him when he was in primary 5 and it was then that we developed a friendship. Both his mum and him have been very encouraging. I've never expected to build such bonds with a student who wasn't even in my form class. But God has placed both of them in my life to be blessed by them. On Tues, I'll be meeting Joy and her mum for breakfast. I taught Joy just before heading out of Spore and I am truly happy that despite 2 years have passed, Joy still remembers me and she still emails me.

As most of you would have already known, I did not graduate with a background in teaching. Teaching came into my life as I was led by God. When I graduated it was the hype of the Asian Financial Crisis in 97. In the midst of job hunting, I decided to relief teach in Woodlands Primary School which was just a stone's throw away from my parents' home. Then I fell in love with teaching. Before putting in my formal application into teaching, I pondered for a long time. Mulled over it and prayed over it. I wanted to make sure that I was going into teaching not because I didn't have a choice but rather I felt the calling of the Lord and sincerely wanted to teach. It was easy for me, I could have waited out and entered into the hospitality business and be doing fairly well now but whenever I wonder, I know that the Lord's leading has been right.

Entered teaching and it was with the intent that I really wanted to teach and make a difference to every child that passes through my hands. I wanted to be the teacher that I would like my child in the future to have. I wanted my class to be the safe haven for the child who has never known what a home is. I had all these aspirations. Over time, some of these aspirations became reality, there were joy and tears as well. Tears for kids that came from difficult families and tears for these kids that triumph. Relationships and friendships were made but at the same time, I felt the dread of work. The administrative part of teaching, the other responsibilities that followed took a toll on me. I began to dread work. I hated the mornings that I woke up to. But I was the happiest in the class. I looked forward to the kids that I taught. The relationships that I had with them. And in time, I knew I had to go before I turned bitter. Took 10 months off to do my masters. Came back rejuvenated so I thought. But it fizzled out. And time came, I left WDP for Hong Kong.

Now, when I look back and look at the students or I rather call them the kids that I taught, I'm glad that I taught them. I may have been harsh and parents may not have liked it but these are the same parents that thank me at the end of the year. As much as I want to think that I've touched the kids, they have touched me even more. They have taught me about life more than any books that can teach me. They have taught me life and complete unconditional love. Thanks kids for teaching me and parents, thanks for letting me teach your kids.

No comments: