Saturday, February 25, 2012

Date Nights

For the past two weeks, it's been kinda busy for Babe and me. Last week I was off to Singapore from Monday to Friday for a school trip. Left home at 6 in the morning and barely had time to say bye to Babe. Babe left on Wednesday for Bangkok for a work trip and he arrived on Friday night and as tired as he was, he still waited at the airport for me. I was excited and at the same time happy to see him. It had been 5 long hard days at work with the kids.

The weekend rolled along. We had guests over for dinner on Saturday and on Sunday, it's family day as our helper takes a break. Then the work week started again. So Babe and I hardly had time to sit, chat and spend time with each other. Last night Babe reminded me to make reservations at the Italian restaurant at our place. So I did and was glad that I did. We really needed the date night.

I got to the restaurant early and waited for Babe to arrive. The food tonight took longer than expected but I didn't mind as it gave Babe and me a chance to talk and recharge and find out what's been going on. Opps, it sounds that we hardly talk at home. That's not true. Babe and I are on MSN at work at times and the lines of communications are always open between us. But the act of sitting down, just the both of us, talking and listening and actually listening to each other's thoughts is so important for us. During this time, there's no distraction from little Ba Ba and sometimes we make an extra effort to keep Ba Ba out of our conversations. It's this time that we re-connect. And that's why we love our date nights.

Well, that brings me to the next point. Since the arrival of Ba Ba, sometimes it's hard for us to have alone time. It's harder for us now to steal away and go off on a getaway. The last time we did that was when we went to Maldives for that short break. And that break was so good for us. Originally we were planning 10 days in Europe for this summer but things came up for Babe and he might not be able to take such a long break due to work commitments. Sure, I'm bummed. I'm like...what about my shopping in Europe? I've been good with no bag shopping for the past few months! But one has to learn to be less selfish! So I'm like, okie, let's do a shorter trip.

As I started to research for our trip. I'm so tempted to say to Babe, let's bring Ba Ba along. But I know that I shouldn't. Well, there might be people out there that think that we are selfish. How can we dump him behind. Well, Ba Ba is not going to be dumped behind. He'll be in Spore with lots of people that love him. And our helper will be there too. But his parents, us, need the re-charging. Over the course of time, I'm realizing the importance of us, parents, taking time to stop and recharge by spending time with each other and getting to know each other again. I really don't want to be one of those couple that when their kids grow up, they have nothing left to say to their spouses. I want us to remain us, to be like what we have always been, lots of stuff to speak and listen to each other.

So, I'm back to the drawing board, back to researching......

No comments: