Friday, November 14, 2008

Seafood Dinner and Thoughts


Last night, I met up with a couple of ladies for dinner at Under the Bridge Spicy Crab. The food there is really yummy! And i love crabs too. Very good food. Went home with a happy belly. But I made sure that I went to the gym before tucking into the yummy fried crabs and fried everything.

Oh yes, I'm trying, making an effort to go to the gym more to run. Been thinking about it and all thanks to Mel, she's suggested that I join her for a 5k run. I'm like....errrr.....I've never really run in my life till recently and it's more for health and staying fit and not gaining weight reasons. But with her suggestion has been stuck in my head. So now....trying and working it out to really see if doing a 5K run is feasible. Well, as long as I don't come in last, I don't care! And or if I'm about to come in last, I might just faint and pretend!

Anyway, a couple of days I ago, I sent an email to my ex-colleagues congratulating her on her wedding but I had to send my apologies for not being able to make it to her wedding. Well, Babe kinda put me on a mini budget since I wanted an US Christmas. Can't be flying everywhere every month, you know. She replied and it was nice to hear from her. In the email, she told me that she was seconded to an elite all girls secondary school in Spore for 2 years and that she probably will not be heading back to the same school to work after that. Well, honestly, when I first read what she wrote, there was a tinge of envy and maybe even a pinch of jealousy. And then, I was reminded of myself. Well, I'm really happy for her. Good on her, she worked her bloody butt off and she to achieve her ambition and went ahead to climb the corporate ladder. She went out to get what she wants and to my understanding and knowledge, she did not hurt anyone or trample on anyone along the way.

Then I thought of myself. Well, the reality of things is that I do not have ambition or drive like this friend of mine. I do things that I enjoy. I did my masters because I wanted to understand children better and to learn how to help them better. I have no desire to be a principal or a head of department. I want to work in the area that I enjoy without the politics or anything like that. I'm happy with what I do now. I work with children, have a nice healthy balance between work and play. I have a nice salary that allows me to have probably more holidays than I should actually have. Just went to States for summer and am going again for Christmas. So what should I be envious or even jealous of? Nothing. To each their own. Different people have different goals in their lives. I am proud to admit that I do not have ambition or the drive to be really successful but I want success in my own understanding. To me, my success is having enough time with my family, enough money to holiday, buy stuff and sometimes nice stuff and maybe someday have enough to stop earning a salary and to work in an area like Joanne, my sister. Help in an NGO or in a children's home. Maybe someday...someday I'll be able to give up my life and work with kids that are in need. Yup! That's my ambition.

No comments: