Saturday, November 24, 2012

In Thanksgiving

It's just probably an hour or so ago that it dawned upon me that our wedding anniversary falls in the week of Thanksgiving. It's funny how only after ten years of being married that it hit me. Maybe God's telling and reminding me something.

God has been very gracious towards us in our marriage. I'm very humbled and grateful at how God consistently reminds me of His goodness towards us in this area. I've mentioned this many times that Babe and me are very different, polar opposites people and to stay committed and married to each other takes more than just tolerance. God played and still plays a major role in our marriage. The truth is that there are times that I thought that we're never going to make it through those tough patches.

But God in His mercy and graciousness provided me a man that's quite the opposite of me. Although I'm such an opposite of Babe, he accepts and loves me the way I am. Everyone that knows Babe knows that he's a man of few words. Well, which means that sometimes he's not very expressive and sometimes he clams up. Initially, it was hard for me and it was hard for him especially when we have our heated arguments. But over time I've learnt that his love language is different from mine. Babe shows his love by buying me stuff. Stuff that he notices that I've been eyeing for a long time and he buys them for me.

In these ten years of marriage, we've been through a fair bit. Not many husbands would give their wives blessings to go away to study for a year. He did that. Not many husbands would let their wives head off to Hong Kong to work without them. He did that and then he landed a job in Hong Kong. Babe did these for me because he knew that it was what I wanted to do. So when Babe told me that he needed a break from work, I agreed without hesitation because I knew that he needed a break. But he ended up with a short break. And when Babe told me that he wanted to head back to Spore to work, I agreed because I knew that he wanted to do that so that he will be still providing for me family even though we're in different countries. When Babe told me that he was going to quit his job in Spore to head back to Hong Kong, I agreed because I knew that being together is more important than money for our marriage. But God in His graciousness provided Babe a job in Hong Kong even before he left Spore.

Over the years, priorities in our marriage changed. We changed as individuals as well. I remember when we were newly weds, Babe was working in the alcohol industry, we would go out all the time and party but this lifestyle no longer attracts us. Money used to be important for us at one stage but now, we rather have quality time as a family than to be chasing the dollar signs. Priorities shift. I remember telling friends that if Babe and me had a child in the first few years of our marriage, there might be a possibility that we would have split up. And well, it's true because when we were younger, we were less tolerant of each other. God knew that and I guess that's why He sent Baba to us only after we passed out eighth anniversary.

So as a couple, where are we now? We still have our little fights and sometimes it becomes heated but we're aware that we have Baba now and we want him to grow up in a loving environment and we try our best not to get mad and snap at each other in front of little Baba. We're still work in progress. A marriage is never easy. I still read self-help marriage books to better myself. The reality is that marriage is hard work but the rewards are so worth it.

Babe, thanks for loving me and thanks for being a wonderful father to little Baba. Thanks for always being there for me, holding my hand and me when things are rough and when I think I'm about to throw in the towel. Thanks for being there in my lows and highs. Thanks for seeing me through so much. It has been a great experience and Babe, I look forward to more good years because I know that the best is yet to come!


Nope, you're not seeing things. That's me at the optometrist getting fitted for contact lenses because I lost mine on the day of my wedding.

 Babe and I saying our wedding vows. Can't believe that ten years have just flown by so quickly.

 The happy Mr and Mrs Seet. The start of our married life.

No comments: