Sunday, May 13, 2012

Caring Teacher Awards

So early this morning as I sat on my white throne, I was reading Strait Times and came across this letter written to the Strait Times. After reading it, I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry or be angry. In other words, I was pretty lost for words.

So I started googling to find out the supposedly true story. Got to love Google. Anyway, manage to read the news or article on it. So how did I feel after reading? I felt glad that I no longer work for the same employer. Got a feeling that I might be unemployed for the rest of my life if I head back to Spore! Yes, I'm baffled, bewildered, flabbergasted, gobsmacked, speechless and yes the list goes on, why would anyone knowingly not be at his or her spouse bedside or at least be within hour's of driving distance away, just in case something happens. Sure, wife said, go! But surely, you would stay and be with her because I know that I sure would be right next to Babe if something like that happens to him.

And of course he was holding his tears when he dedicated the award to his wife. But what's the point? Yes, I do not know and understand the circumstances that he was in. But now that this award has been given, does the employer understands and knows that teachers would be under more pressure as this award sends a signal to teachers that serving the school and pupils are way more important than their own family. As it is, I know of ex-colleagues who are weekend parents because they do not have the time to look after their own children because of the immense amount of work load. And those that can afford it, take a huge pay cut to have their hours reduced so that they can spend time with their families. It's sad, freaking sad.

I thought about myself. I'm glad that I took myself out of that rat race. And I'm glad that I'm very clear with my current employer that my family is my priority. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I work later but most of the time, I'm home by 4.30. My time out with my friends have been reduced significantly and gym time is also reduced, not that I'm complaining for that bit. Recently, I met up with a friend who mentioned that a mutual friend of ours' son does not call her mummy. He refused as she works long hours and does not have as much time with him. When I heard about it, it broke my heart. Money cannot buy time and money cannot buy affections too. I rather earn lesser and cut back so that I can spend time with little Ba Ba. I enjoy the walks that we take, the coffees that I have at the coffeeshop with him, the time at the beach. Yes, every one of these precious moments that I have with him, means a lot to me. And time with Babe is very important too. I'm so glad that Babe is a family man. Nothing makes him happier than to be with us. My point is....please spend the time with your loved ones than to work like a dog and be given that award. That award can never bring back your dead spouse or child.

No comments: