Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Updates

Yes, the blog is still kinda alive....Been caught up with life and well, been busy too. Been at the new school for about a month and love it so far. Learning lots from the kids and there are days that I walk away feeling a little sad knowing that some of the kids do not have much but most of the time, I walk away from work feeling glad that I've made the right decision.

I've been thinking about the haves and the have nots. As a child, I've never really been part of the haves but over the years, the family got into the middle of the haves. But we're still not really the haves. I wouldn't say that we're the haves now but rather we're in the category that we can be the haves if we want and be happy as the have nots. It wouldn't kill me that I can't have the designer bag that I like or the nice watch. My basic needs are met and I'm happy.

But as I work with some of the have nots, it pains me at times. Some of the kids that I work with live in sub divided units, do not have complete families, dysfunctional families and all sorts. There are times that I've to remind myself not to get really mad with some of these kids because they are already having such a hard time at home and cut them some slack. While discussing about the school trip, I have to be constantly reminded that most of the kids that I work with will not be able to afford the school trip. But these kids, are some of the most real, humble and yes, well behave kids. Some of the kids that I work are really grateful but they lack the motivation. They are used to the fact that they are at the bottom of the rung. It's sad.

When I look at my life, God has blessed me so much and I believe that this is why He put me where I am now. He taps into the soul and reminds me that He loves His children and I'm there to serve Him by helping the kids. Truth be told, I would have much as easier life if I stayed on at my old school but now, I'm really busy. I don't stop planning my worksheets, lessons, marking and replying letters from the time I step into the school till the time that I leave school. Yes, it's tiring. And I'm even conscious of not bringing my designer bags to work so that the kids would not feel that I'm being a snob. Yes, I'm carrying a backpack to work these days. But the reality of it all, I'm happy. I know that I'm really making a difference to some of the kids that I work with.

No comments: