Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Having Babies

I read with interest news coming from Singapore. Well, it's come to a point that the baby problem is getting big...humongus....Even the lesser educated is not having kids. Well, it has always been the norm that the lesser educated are the baby producers...I remember when I was teaching in WDP. I would be teaching in the lower ability class and there you see parents of lesser education and of lower income having kids. They would be a constant headache for me. Me calling parents, speaking in Mandarin, Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese and even Malay to convey to them what their kids have been up to. And it's at that situations that I wonder, why do these less educated with less income bother to have so many kids that have that create so many problems for the society. And I wonder, how do they manage their money. I can't seem to have enough and they seem to have enough feeding themselves all the time. But I guess, the current studies have shown otherwise. They are not procreating as much.

Well, I know...you guys are then curious...I know what you're thinking. WK and me have more than enough education, money wise, we're doing alright. Not really, I still have my study loans to pay up and my credit card bills....But then again, seriously, we should be fine to have a kid. But we're not heading that way. And why? You're dying to know right? Well, I'll tell you!

Number 1, which is the most important of them all. Having a kid, even just one kid is a huge, huge responsibility. I remember years and years ago, something like 20 years ago when I really wanted to have kids. I was in my early teens then. But as I got older, I realised that having kids are not as simple as everyone thinks. There's a lot more to just popping them out. In some ways, it's has come to a point that I no longer desire to have kids. It's sad, I know. WK and me can't deal with sitting in a restuarant or plane and have a kid whinging and crying away. It's sad but we get irritated. Having kid takes a lot out of a person and at this point of time, we're not willing to share ourselves with someone else. In particularly me, I don't have that capacity to be able to share that love with someone else yet.

And the other issue, there's lots of things that I want to do. I want want to be tied down by a kid. It's sad I know. I have to admit that I've turned into a selfish bitch! I want to see the world, travel, be able to move wherever my work or WK's work take us to. I don't see the need for a kid at this point of time. Why would I want to put myself through it. We're happy the way we are. But having said that, I do want to have a kid someday. I want to adopt a kid. I honestly do not see why I should have a kid when I can save one from poverty. But there are times that I look deeper into myself and wonder if that's my selfish bitch at work again. On one hand, I really want to save a child from poverty. But on the other, I can have a child without getting fat and ugly and not get post natal depression as well. I really wonder, adopting a child is more beneficial for me or for the child.....

We can be so selfish at times and I am not afraid to admit that I can be very selfish as well. So there you go, my reasons for not wanting to procreate. I know my reasons may be flaky but do not blame me for not wanting to creating more chaos to the society...

No comments: