Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Start of Summer Hols

Yesterday was the last day of work. Woohoo!!! Finally, the school year has come to an end. Have to say that I really need the break. At the same time, it's strange that I was a little sad to see the primary six students leaving and saying goodbye to some of them. It made me realised that wow, I really have relationships with some of the students to actually feel for them. Yes, work has become more meaningful. The way it is meant to be.

Last night, I had dinner with ladies from the Geoexpat group. It's always nice meeting new ladies in Hong Kong. In all reality, it can be hard meeting lady friends in Hong Kong. And it's even harder making sane friends! I was seated next to a lady that's just a little older than me. We had a nice conversation about relationships and marriages. She's a single lady in her early 40s and the conversations were quite candid and open. I asked her as she gets older, would she want to settle? And she shook her head and said no. She then recounted that she had drinks with a lady that was 20 years younger than her and she gave the young lady one advice for relationship. 'When things go awry in a relationship, walk away with your dignity. You can lose everything but not your dignity.' And I thought that was priceless. In many ways, she reminds me of Eve. Very rational in her thoughts and it's not easy for her as she works in a male dominated area and yet she is able to command the respect from them.

Caught up with Rani as well. When I think about it, I've actually known Rani a couple of months before moving to HK. She's been very helpful and supportive in many ways. And it's through Rani and Geoexpat, I've gotten to know a lot more ladies. Well, I'm not sounding like I'm friendship starved or anything like that. But it's nice to meet more ladies. Sometimes, we get on and sometimes not. But it's all about giving chances to people. But then again, having said that, sometimes, I give too many chances and lessons have been learnt. But this is life.

Before dinner, I met up with Carmen briefly for a coffee. Love Carmen! In some ways, we are quite similar, well, our birthdays are only a day apart from each other. And for Carmen and me, things in life are very clear, the white stays in white and black stays in black. They rarely cross over. Greys are hard to find or we rather not have them. In the midst of our conversations, it turned to how her ex-boss crossed her path a couple of times after she stopped working for him. Conversation turned to how people can turn vindictive and without regard for others. But Carmen took it very well, she's like let it go. Karma may or may not come back and it doesn't matter. What's the point of being really pissed with the person. Isn't that very true in life?

Tomorrow, I'll be off to Seoul, will spend 12 hours there and then to San Francisco. Will see Eelynn and Bruno and also will spend time with Sharon and Dan probably. Can't wait to see my cousins. This has become a yearly thing that I drop by in San Francisco to see them before heading to San Diego. Can't wait to see my cousins and cousin in laws. Eelynn has planned this nice trip to Petuluma. Haven't been there but who cares! As long as I get to see my cousins! Will plan to see Jolynn too. She's another of my cousin, Eelynn's sister. Will probably try to spend a night with her.

And then on Wednesday, will fly out to San Diego to see Eve. Not sure what our travel plans are going to be yet. But as long as I get to see her and spend time with her, I don't really care what we do! I just want to hang out with her!

No comments: