Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Difference Between Happiness and Joy

I've always that that happiness and joy was synonymous but apparently not. Interesting. Was reading a book recently about love and bringing up children and the author mentioned the difference between these two words. She wrote that happiness most of the time is momentarily, short-lived and dependent and motivated by external factors. Whereas with joy, it is internal and eternal. I was rather surprised by that opinion. I never really taught of it that way. And she went on to say that with joy, no matter whatever that happens, there's a peace and calm in a person. Joy stays in the person and it is not motivated by external factors at all.

I thought about it and well, it is very true. The author wrote to say that it is far more important to raise the child in joy than to have the child seek for happiness. And when I think about it, yes, people seek for happiness all the time and most of the time, they find happiness in the wrong places and persons. And their happiness sometimes is dependent on external factors. If it makes you happy, then it makes me happy. Very often said. But with joy, it comes true happiness. Joy can be or is in us and once we have that, we will have true happiness and not empty happiness that comes and goes.

Maybe Happy's name should be changed to Joy. But I know 3 Joys and all of them are very nice girls. So no....lest people get mad with me.....Anyway, my Happy makes me happy and joyful....Am a little sad that I'll have to leave her in Hong Kong while we head to the States. Feel bad that she always gets left in Hong Kong during the festive seasons....Must think of a way for her soon. Not sure if she likes catching the planes though....

No comments: