Sunday, December 02, 2007

Home?

I've been thinking quite a bit about home ever since we came back from our weekend in Singapore. Sure, we had a great time but this trip that we had, it was a little different. It didn't feel as home as before. We stayed in a hotel and I guess, we do not have our physical home anymore. It's been sold. Sure, it was great, meeting up with everyone but there wasn't a home that we could call. For the first time in my life, I felt homeless in Singapore. Sure, I still had my parents' home to call it home but since I've not lived there for a couple of years, it's not really home. Even going to church, I didn't feel at home as I used to. Things changed.

I remember having dinner with Kim and David and David mentioned that when a person moves away to live, his or her family and friends move on with their lives. For a couple of weeks, they may miss the person but then they move on. Therefore people like us have to make extra effort to keep the friendships going and to make sure that the links are always there. I truly felt that this trip. Friends have move on and family too. I realised that I've miss a lot of my family and friends' live but I guess it's the choice that I've made to live in Hong Kong.

Ex-colleagues have asked how long will I be in Hong Kong, and the truth is, I don't know. I don't see myself running back to Singapore as soon as possible. I guess, it's the fact that I'm feeling less at home with my home country, which scares me. And that leads me to ponder if its the physical home that I don't have that makes me feel less at home in my home country? Strange isn't it that it boils down to the fact that I need a physical home in Singapore to call it home. Never thought that I'll actually feel this way.

No comments: