Thursday, February 05, 2009

You Need Money to Make a Living but You Need Memories to Make a Life

Have been reading a book recently and the author wrote this line when explaining why he took a trip with his family despite there were other pressing needs in his family. He wrote that money can always be made but with memories, it can't always be made.

I couldn't agree more. When I headed back for CNY, mum told me that dad wasn't that happy that I went to the States twice in a year. Sure, I know the reason, spending too much and blah, blah, blah. To a certain extent, I agree with him. But then again, I don't. Sure, he has his reasons and I have mine. I do not disagree that it is important to save money but at the same time, it was important for Babe and me to have a holiday together.

There's no doubt that I love going to America. Well, there's probably 2 reasons, the prime reason, Eve is there, secondary reason, to see my cousins. But more importantly, it's to see Eve. Eve is my best friend and I do miss her heaps. There's never once that I regret flying over to see her and spending the time with her. The time spent with her is always memorable. There's always lots of memories with her. From sand biking, to kayaking to whalewatching. She loves doing stuff with me that Babe hates. And can money ever buy these memories? Yes and no, yes, I would neeed to spend that amount of money to fly and see her. And no, if she leaves this world, no amount of money will ever buy back the memories that we can create together.

The trip to States over Christmas was really good for Babe and me. It has been a long time since we took a long vacation together. There's something about a vacation that a couple tend to be more in love, more in tune and more of everything. Eversince we moved to Hong Kong, almost all our vacations have been spent on returning back to Spore. Don't get me wrong, we like Spore but sometimes it can be too much.

So there you go....I'm not very good at keeping my money because I'm more interested in collecting and keeping memories. I love looking back and remembering the wonderful times spent with family and friends.


No comments: