Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's Just a Car!

Before we moved to HK, we had our little Hyundai Getz for about 3 years. I did love that car pretty much. Was a little sad to see it go. When we first got our car, Babe didn't have his driving license and so I was the driver. Being new at driving, our brand new car at that time, had endless scratches on its sports rims. I had a thing on going over curbs. Sure, Babe would yell at me. But honestly, I couldnt care less. Then car received lots of scratches from various reasons but thankfully, I didn't meet with any serious accidents. Or rather no accidents at all! Have to mention that WK was the best driving instructor without a driving license!

Then one day, months after WK started to drive. We were coming home from church and he took a corner too fast and crashed into the curb. When that happened, I was very calm, called whoever we had to call and got the car to wherever it had to go and that's it. End of the story. I didn't get mad with him or anything like that. Fixed the car and then made WK drive more, didn't want him to develop a phobia of driving.

When I was back in Spore over CNY, a very good friend, well, my best friend told me that his brand new car has a scratch and it was left by his wife. Sure, you know what's men like with their cars. And I told him, "well, your wife is fine isn't it? Isn't that more important than anything else?" Then I told him the story of Babe and the car.

The point is, a car is a car, scratches, crashes and dents can be fixed with money and insurance. Not really a big deal. But a life is priceless. The reality for me is that I'd rather the car be a write off than to have Babe come out of the accident with a scratch! My Babe is way more important than a car! But as Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, Men are like waffles and Women are like Spaghetti, men and women think differently. A car is always important for a man!

Anyway, whatever it is, I still miss my car very much. I miss driving lots. It calms me down and destresses me. I remember driving for 45 mins after work with Babe just to buy takeaway dinner. The drive was soothing but the irony, I have road rage too!

No comments: