Tuesday, April 24, 2007

In Health, Sickness and Death

The day started with a slight drizzle that became a huge down pour. The red rain signal was actually hoisted. Thought nothing much of it as the weather in HK can be rather unpredictable. Went for my class and just before I went home for lunch, I checked my laptop and there was a message from WK. Apparently, his granduncle went home with the Lord.

On Sunday night, Mum called and told us that WK's granduncle was sick. The church was praying for him during pastoral prayer. We thought nothing of it as WK's mum didn't mention anything when he spoke with her. Yesterday, WK emailed his aunt and she replied and I called her as well. Apparently, he was in a serious condition. Half of his heart is dead. When we first heard that he was sick, our first question was, 'Is he saved?' When I was speaking to WK's aunt, I asked the same question. She told me that WK's grandma actually asked the same question at the hospital. Yes, praise the Lord, he's saved.

I hardly know WK's granduncle as he's WK's grandma's brother. We see him every Chinese New Year and I barely speak to him. However, I did feel a little for him when I heard that he was very sick. In the course of conversation with WK's aunt, I mentioned Adrian and that sometimes isn't it better for the sick to go home. It was like Adrian. He was really sick and it was to a point that he couldn't move. I told WK's aunt that I'll pray for God's will to be done. She agreed, she also felt that since he's saved, why let him suffer more? I was wondering if it's our selfish reasons that we want someone sick around rather than him or her going to heaven. He's lived a full life, he was 93.

Yesterday was also Derrick's first death anniversary. A friend of ours. He's gone home with the Lord at a young age. We don't know why but obviously God has a reason and a purpose for it. I guess with these death thoughts around me, it got me to think about health, sickness and death. What does it really mean to me? Honestly, I don't know. Like I've told my close friends, if I've stage 3 cancer, just let me go home. I don't want to fight it.

But then again, it's hard to say that as I've family that's being struck by cancer. Aunty Lucy went through it and so did Xiao Gu and now Sharon. And uncle Steve is recovering from a stroke as well. There are times that I really wish that I was a kid again there seemed to be less worries. But then again, this is life. People grow, get sick, old and finally they leave. Where do they leave to, it all depends.

Enough of my ramblings, sometimes I don't even know what I'm rambling about. Have too much thoughts in my head and they're just dying to get out. Sharon, I'll continue to pray for you. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: