Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Cousins

I was watching Channelnewsasia last night. They had a program about an extended family that lives together. While watching that, I was reminded of my own extended family and my cousins. Just a couple of days ago, Sharon, my cousin in States, restarted the Sim Cousins email circle. She started it when her dad was sick and now it's restarted.

I remembered when we were kids living in Pandan Gardens, Uncle Albert's family (Sharon's family) was just living next block. I'd go over all the time to play with Sharon and Morgan. Morgan was like my partner in crime. I love him to the bits! We used to sit in a corner and share our woes...yes, we had our woes at that time! And Xiao Di (Calvin) was like my little brother that I never had. His birthday is a day after mine.

School holidays and weekends were a blast! Cousins gathered in Uncle Albert's place and we'll go crazy playing. During June holidays, Uncle Larry would fly back with his family and Eelynn and Jolynn will join us in our craziness too. There was so much fun playing all the time. We really had a great childhood. I used to look forward to those weekends and holidays.

I remembered when Lina's mum passed on, that was when we hung out with each other a lot and we became best friends. We talked a lot and shared a lot with each other. She's my pillar of strength at times. She understands me without judging me even though I've made wrong decisions and she still stood by me. And I'm her biggest fan!

When we moved to Woodlands, we were still very close. Morgan was the first cousin to go away to States. He came back and then Sharon took off, then soon, cousins after cousins took off to study and we came back or stayed in States but whatever that happened, we always knew that we had each other. When Uncle Albert fell sick, we rallied around each other. All the way from States to Manila to Singapore, we were there for the family. And recently, when Uncle Steve had a stroke, the cousins were there too.

I feel very blessed to have such a great extended family. It's nice to know that whatever happens, the Sims are there for each other. It's hard at times to keep in touch with everyone but we know that deep down in us, every Sim loves every Sim. Sharon, I'll keep you in my prayers. It's hard but I know, you'll pull it through. Lina and Ah Boy kor, I'll keep your dad in prayers as well. Hope that one day, he'll come to believe in Christ.


This post is dedicated to my all Sim Cousins! Love you guys!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jasmine, way to go, great blog entry! Hurray Sim Circle!

Anonymous said...

Love you to bits, too, my favouritest monster. You're also my pillar of strength and I miss our childhood days so much even though we went through this stage that was really sucky. But it was great having each other. ;)

sunniefaith said...

sharon: Thanks!

monster: You're my favouritest monster too. It was and is still good to have you as my pillar of strength! Love you heaps!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention... besides being my pillar of strength, you are also my personal indispensible elephant! Haha, remember always remembering stuff for me? :P I miss my monster elephant! :(

sunniefaith said...

Monster...oh gosh...my elephant memory...yes...I can remember stupid and silly stuff but never remember enough stuff for exams!