Thursday, November 08, 2007

Ironies In Life

So yesterday on CNA, Sandra Yeow and Kevin Lee won the Subaru Challenge and good for them that each gets a car. And each of them spent more than 70 hours with a hand stuck on the car. Well, good for them!

Walking to work and today, something gnawed at the back of my head. So much time wasted just for a car. This was also Sandra Yeow's third attempt. I wonder if all the time is worth it. Maybe for the winner, it was worth the time. But what about the losers? Sorry, no pun intended. Would these same people who placed their hands on the cars, place hands on packets of rice or whatever to raise money for charity? Have people, including me, turn into people chasing after material stuff without looking inside?

I know, I sound like a hypocrite now. Yes, I know. Sure, I'm one of these people chasing after frivolous crap in my life. I love designer bags, shoes, watches, clothes and loads more. When I moved to HK and cleared my flat, I realised how much stuff I accumulated and some of the stuff, I still had price tags on it. Yesterday and today got me thinking of my life. I have some much for myself and what do I give back to God and the society and to charity? Am I returning myself back, just a little portion of my life?

I don't think I'll be able to give up everything and lead a simple life but maybe it's time to look inside of me and ask myself if all these material things in life will make me a better person.

No comments: