Friday, June 06, 2008

A Call From God?

That was the question asked to me by our case worker. Got me a little stunned, flabberghasted and then....I tried not to burst out laughing. Time to backtrack. Well, I had the individual interview with the adoption unit yesterday. It was good but thanks to Babe as he went for the interview earlier and he kinda told me what questions to expect. Our case worker asked me why made us want to adopt? And I told him that we felt that this is a calling from God. And I guess in his best English trying to clarify what I said, he asked,' So, you mentioned that you received a call from God to adopt, right?' I was like....errrr....do not laugh. In my head, I had these funny visions of my phone ringing and God being on the line or praying in church and then a loud booming voice talking to me! Or one day at home, thunder and lightening and then a loud booming voice..... Oh well, things that people say in HK. I had to clarify and explain to him that it's not a call exactly, we're not charasmatic Christians. But rather the Holy Spirit moved us over time.

Our case worker brought up the issue of child care when we get the child. I told him that we'll be hiring a helper. Primarily, because I still intend to continue working, (my visa in HK is dependent on my job), and also with Babe, he does travel at least once a month, even though he has flexible work time, there are instances that he may not be around. So the case worker went on and say that, it may not be such an easy task to hire a good domestic helper. And I looked at him and smiled and said,' The greatest thing with my religion is that we believe that God will provide!' He had this look on his face and I had to assure him that we will actively look for a domestic helper and in the mean time, my family in Spore will provide the support along with the support network of wonderful friends in HK.

After the interview, I did reflect and thought of things. In the interview I mentioned to our case worker that in about 5 to 10 years' time, God and finances willing, I would like to stop work and be a foster mother taking in kids or go and volunteer in a children's home to work with kids. Whilst saying that, at the back of my head, I seriously wonder, am I willing to give up my material pleasures to do something like that? Yes, I am very thankful to God for providing me a well paying job now and for providing Babe a job with lots of career prospects. Very thankful and grateful but at the same time, am I willing to give up everything and live a simple life to achieve my aspirations? It's funny how over time, my life aspirations have become simpler. When I was university, I wanted to be this big time executive in the hotel business. Then I started teaching, and I wanted to be a head of department or someday run a school. And irony of it all, when I gave up my egoistical ambitions in life, God has given me so much blessings that it's beyond me! And this is the test, am I going to be able to believe, trust and have faith in God that He'll provide everything for me again?

No comments: