Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Sweet, Sour and Bitter weekend

My weekend started being sweet. Babe got tickets to watch Sex and the City on Friday night. It was surprising for me that he'll actually watch the girlie flick with me. But he did and it seemed to me that he actually enjoyed it. Enjoyed the show thoroughly and as usual pondered too much of life after watching.

Woke up early on Saturday with a heavy rainstorm. It was so heavy that we couldn't really see the apartments that were opposite us! Woke up early because Rimu, Lammie's dog came over to hang out with us as Lammie was going to Taipei for the weekend. And Happy being the spoilt brat, started attacking Rimu. And Rimu, no, he didn't even fight back. Love that dog! Well, that's the way we perceived it. At that point, I had this horror vision that Happy might tear Rimu apart and blood will be all over Rimu nice white fur! So we had to send Rimu back to his place and we hung out with him for a while. Now, I kinda know how Marina and her family must have felt when they dog sat Happy. So....no more asking friends to doggie sit my ill bred, spoilt and pampered pooch! Might be better to get someone to house sit our place or we'll pay for Happy to be at the kennel.

Black rainstorm went on and on and then.....it went to red rainstorm and finally amber. We went over to see Rimu a couple of times to make sure he wasn't scared or anything like that. When the rainstorm signal turned to yellow, we went out shopping. To us, it seemed that everything was fine. But Sunday came...it was different. So Sunday came, went to church still oblivious to the intensity or impact of the rain. Came back, brought Rimu to our place to hang out. Happy behaved a little better. Started reading the papers and then realised that there were people that died in the rainstorm, places flooded, money lost as stocks were damaged, homes destroyed and I felt so thankful that God kept us safe! We were just shopping, having dinner and doing regular things and not realising what the rain had actually done.

On early morning Monday, my phone beeped. I only had like 3 hours of sleep as I was surfing online looking for info. Got out of bed and rang my friend straightaway. Let's not reveal names but let's just say, someone that I really love. Things happened and she's fine but I felt horrid for not being there for her. She's a strong person, well, I think, she's way stronger than me. But it's just that she's in a situation that anyone would hate to be right now. She's trying to iron things out but at the same time, I wish that I'm there physically for her. I know she'll pull through but it's not easy to do it when she's alone in a place all by herself. Girl, I love you and don't worry, things will iron out. I really hate times like these that I'm not there, I feel helpless that I'm not even able to lend a shoulder or even an ear because of different timezones. This is a friend that flew in for my wedding and she told me, "Faith, if ever, ever, things go wrong, call me and I will arrange something for you and in 24 hours, a ticket will be waiting for you at the airport for you to fly out to wherever I am." This is the friend that's hurting now. And what can I do....nothing. I feel hollow and sad.

After the calls, rested for a while, had tea with Elaine and Melissa. Had a wonderful time. Then caught Prince Caspian. Wonderful show! Loved it! Got home, started surfing online again. And now, I find out someone that I knew online through Geoexpat is mssing! He fell into the water while watching the dragon boat races and they are still searching for him. We bantered a number of times online. He seemed to be a nice guy. I went to bed with a heavy heart. Life is really unpredictable. 2 sets of sad news in a day and as I reflected while doing my quiet time, I'm reminded of the movie, our only trust is in Jesus and with Him, things can go awry but He'll be there. I always believe that things happen for reasons and now, we don't know the reasons but when we look back, we may understand them better or sometimes, we'll never understand them. Yes, once again, God's teaching me lessons through the pains of others and my heart bleeds too. Yes, people may laugh and wonder why I feel so much. But this is me. I pray that one day, I will never, never lose this ability to feel the pain of others to remind me of the pain and suffering that Jesus went through. Maybe this is His way of teaching me to remain focus in Him.

No comments: