Friday, June 13, 2008

Friendship Company

I had dinner with some friends last night and a friend mentioned that, 'Hey, we're your family in Hong Kong!"

On the way home, I started pondering. Yes, I am very truly blessed in many, many ways in terms with friendship. God has provided me with friends in every stage of my life. Many of them have turned into a part of my family. It makes it even harder at times when it's time to say goodbye to some of my friends when they move away or when I move away. But deep down, I know, these are the friends that will be friends for life.

Then, Sandi Patty started ringing in my head. Years ago when I was at uni, the church that Stan was attending in Brisbane staged a musical before I left. It was Friendship Company by Sandi Patty. It was during that time that certain friendships were sealed and cemented. That was when I really got to know Amy. It's strange how life goes on and we hardly saw each other and when we meet up, we just pick up where we left off. It was also through uni life that Stanley became a major part of my life. It's hard for people to understand how I can have a male for a best friend, but you know what, Stan, is a gift from God as a brother to me. Someone that I know will always be there for me. And the songs below, at some or many points of my life, I've heard him sing a couple of times.

It was at uni that my friendship with Eve developed as well. With Eve, every moment with her is always cherished. It's very rare that we're even in the same continent much less the same timezone. I guess in many ways we are friends because we're quite similar in many ways. We're both very determined and focused in life. She has been a huge part of my uni lives. When I was Gold Coast, we hung out a lot and then when I went to do my masters, she was there for me as well. It's always rare to find a friend that has very similar qualities. It's always comforting to know that she'll be here in a heartbeat for me. But at the same time, its hard for us to see each other only once a year.

As I live this transient life, I've come to a point that I'm leaving it up to God to provide me friends along the way. When I came back from Australia after my undergrad, I hardly had friends in Spore. And the people that I met in my work in Spore made a huge difference to me. Sharon made such an impact in my life. When I left Spore, it was hard to leave that friendship behind. Yati made a huge gaping hole in my friendship heart when I left Spore too. Wish I could have been there more for them but living in HK makes that hard. There were heaps others. God provide friends in times that I thought that I would have no one to talk to.

Coming to Hong Kong, it was the same. Arriving here with no friends. God again prevailed. People that I thought were going to be friends, turned out otherwise. A couple of my good friends left and I was lonely, I'm not going to lie about it. Thank God, I had Babe, my best friend and soul mate. And then as I plodded along, again I met people that have become friends, firm friends. And with friendship, truth and trust is very important for me. Thank God for Carmen, Melissa, Paula, Simon, Susan and many others that have become support for me in many ways. When I shared our vision of adoption, they rallied around us. To me, wow, what more can I expect? And with an unexpected death of someone recently, it made me realise that life is short and yes, I've to treasure my friends as honestly, I never know when will be the last time that I'll see them.

I'm also very thankful of the family that I was raised in. My cousins, have become my best friends. Not many people have the opportunity to be really close to their cousins but I'm glad my cousins are my friends. Lina is my best friend ever since we were kids. I know we hardly have the time to meet and hang out and I miss her heaps. I do have make more effort to see her whenever I head back to Spore. With Eelynn, I see her once a year whenever I head to see Eve. I know I should spend more time with her. We grew up together. oh, not really. She lived in Manila when she was a kid and every summer, she'll head to Spore to spend time and it's strange that we always had this bond with each other. I'm truly thankful for all the cousins I have.

These songs are for you friends that have made a huge difference in my life. Such a difference that you may not realise. Maybe I've never said thanks enough for the friendship and love that you guys showered upon me but I truly appreciate it! And yes, I love everyone of you heaps!


Love Makes a Friend Be Like You
Sandi Patty

What made give your last cookie away
Or help me clean my room all day
Why would let me use your stereo
Or save me the middle of your Oreo

Why would you always try to be
there when I really really need you there to care
You're always willing to share

Love makes a friend be a friend like you
Love takes a friendship and turns it into
Something to last your whole life through
Love makes a friend be a friend like you

What makes you wanna give your heart away
What makes open up and say
All of the feelings that you hold inside
All of the secrets that you try to hide

Why would you always try to be
There when I really really need you there to care
You're always willing to share

Love makes a friend be a friend like you
Love takes a friendship and turns it into
Something to last for all life through
Love makes a friend be a friend like you
Love makes a friend be a friend like you


Forever Friends
by Sandi Patti

All around us things are changing
Seasons come and seasons go
Very few things last forever
Deep within our hearts we know

We’re forever friends
Bond by love that time can't take away
Forever friends caring in a special kind of way
Heart to heart and hand in hand
We'll stand until the end
Loves forever when your forever friends

We're all children of the father
In his keeping and his care
And the spirit that he gives us
Is the love we're meant to share

We’re forever friends
Bond by love that time can't take away
Forever friends caring in a special kind of way

And though we know it's time to say goodbye
We will always be together
And here's the reason why.

We’re forever friends
Bond by love that time can't take away
Forever friends caring in a special kind of way


Can You Reach My Friend

I got a call from an old friend
We laughed about how we had changed
But I could tell things weren’t going as well
as he claim

He tried to hide his feelings
But they only gave him away
The longer I listened,
The more I kept wishing
I knew the right words to say

Can You reach my friend ?
You're the only one who can
Lord, I know You love him
Make him understand
Can You reach my friend?
Bring his search to an end
Help him give his heart to You

We talked for more than an hour
And I smiled when he mentioned Your name
I said that I knew You

I told him the difference You made
He never thought he would need You
But maybe he’s changing his mind
As we said goodbye Lord
I told him that I had found
Something that he’d like to find

Can You reach my friend?
You’re the only One who can
Lord, I know You love him
Help him understand
Can you reach my friend?
Bring his searching to an end
Help him give his heart to You

Coz maybe he’s ready tonight
Lord, he said that he might
Need to call on You

5 comments:

gwei-tai tai said...

*tear*
That was so sweet! And yes, we will always be family!!

news vendor said...

And if helps to rekindle those memories, dust off those old photos and have a look! The I-Ball was quite awesome when we went as a couple! Haha...

sunniefaith said...

Stan,

Yup! Those memories! You know what, with all the moves, I've made in my life, I've lost those photos! But it was such great memories! I-Ball and coffee....

Anonymous said...

Hi Jas!

pass me the tissue!!!! You've been a great friend and a sister to me too! Praise God for our freindship!love ya!

sunniefaith said...

Sharon,

Here! Whole box of tissues! Enough? Seriously, I'm really thankful for a friend that I made in WDP. At my worst times in WDP, you made going to work enjoyable! Thanks! Love ya too!