Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Plans, Plans and Plans

I must admit that I've this thing about planning. I love planning but don't expect my home to be neat and tidy. It's actually quite a mess at times. But I love planning in the sense that I've always known what my life is going to be in two years from now. I know what I'm having for meals each day, my diary is quite planned. Even with holidaying, I do like to know that I'll be doing. And yes, Babe called me a control freak because of that once.

However, its becoming increasing glaring in my face that no matter how much I plan, I'm truly not in control. When I was about to leave uni more than 10 years ago, it was the Asian Financial Crisis and I was feeling rather low then because my plans of entering the hospitality market and working my way up the career ladder went down the drain. I felt lost and without direction. But it was God that led me through a career change and now, I'm truly happy with what I'm doing in my life. That was one of the first lessons that I learnt that God is always in control.

To be honest, I've been mulling over writing this post. Thinking about my life and the plans that I've made and that how God has always shown me that His plans are always higher and I wonder at times and even now, what are His higher plans. We're meant to be leaving tomorrow night back to Spore for Easter and be back on the 19th. But on Thursday evening. Babe told me that the Spore trip has to be canned. And I was like, what? I've made plans to meet Sharon for tea, so excited to carry her little Gabriel. I've made plans to catch up with my other friends too. Even my tickets for Spore, I planned it way in advance and managed to redeem my krisflyer points for a free ticket. Everything was a mess. I hated it. Seriously hated it! And then, the mad rush to find somewhere that's available for us to holiday. Most places were gone and Shanghai became available. So, we're going Shanghai now.

I've been thinking, why? Why does God want us to go to Shanghai instead? And I pondered and wondered and no, I don't know. But maybe the reality is that both Babe and me have been busy with our lives that we haven't had time to pause and listen and enjoy each others' company. I thought, yes, maybe this is the reason. But the truth is that I honestly don't know. God's ways are always higher than mine and it's hard most of the time to make sense of things. I am truly learning over the years that the Almighty is always in control and He makes no coincidences in our lives and maybe we cannot see certain things now, but in time to come, He will reveal Himself to us.

On a separate note, Babe and I were chatting and talking and he said things to me that made me open my eyes about friendships and Christianity. He said things that never occurred to me and I'm thankful that he said it. Prior to the conversation with Babe, I had dinner with Mel. Mel said something like Babe and I work out well because he's my anchor and we work well together even though we're polar opposites because in many ways we complement each other. I admit, he keeps me grounded. After talking to Babe and I thought of what Mel said, it made sense. Babe is my other half as he sees and have views and perceptions that I don't have. And that's why God gave him to me. That's the best present that I've received and that's all that I can ask for.

No comments: