Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shanghai

Yes!!! Back in Hong Kong! Really glad to be back! Hang on, before I go further, Babe and me did have fun in Shanghai. But maybe we stayed there a little too long. Overall, we did have fun, enjoying each others' company.

This photo was taken in our hotel. Part of their Easter decoration. We found it rather amusing to see rabbits and chicks. I mean, chicks, what are they thinking of? Bird flu, you know? And look at the poo....there's quite a bit. But at the same time, the rabbits and chicks reminded me of my childhood. I had chicks as pets before when I was really young, think maybe 3 or 4. My first pets and they walked through the rails of my balcony to their death......And rabbits, yes, I had them when I was a little older.

This is Nanjing Road. It's basically like Chinatown in Spore. A street for pedestrians. Very crowded, and yes, we were asked by touts if we wanted bags and watches. Was a nice walking streets.

I love the buildings. The art deco buildings reminds me so much of Sydney and San Francisco. Very beautiful.

A little trolley train that brings people who don't want to walk up and down the street.

A photo of our hotel taken from afar. Thank God that we stayed in a nice hotel and am very thankful that they upgraded us to a suite for 5 nights. Loved the architectual of the hotel. Very beautiful.

A night shot of Nanjing Road.

The Shanghai Art Museum. They were featuring Sunflowers.

Yes, I know what are you thinking.....Shanghai Art Museum? Yes, I admit, we got a little bored and decided, let's do something cultural and we went to the Art Museum.


Enjoyed looking at the Sunflowers exhibition.

But no....The calligraphy....Don't understand the writings, rather, can't read the writings and so can't appreciate it. Wish they did have the explanations in English though.




We went to Yuyuan, an ancient garden that was built in the 1500s. We enjoyed the walk through the garden but the moment we got out of the garden, the touts came again....Bags, watches?


South Beauty, we ate at this restaurant twice, 2 nights in a row for dinner. Love the Sichuan food there. Actually we preferred Sichuan food over Shanghainese food.

A view from our hotel.

At Pudong Airport.
Got really bored waiting from our flight. Trying hard not to fall asleep. Had to get up at like 5 in the morning to catch the flight!

So how was Shanghai? Well, think I went there many years late. Shanghai was not what I envisioned it to be. I was expecting old, traditional, and cultured. Well, let's just say, I was quite wrong. The first two days, we were excited. Love the European looking buildings and how they don't tear down the old buidings. They kept the history in that aspect. But at the same time, I was disappointed in the disappearing culture as McDonalds and Starbucks can be seen everywhere. Hated been pushed and shoved and people stopping in the middle of their tracks with no regard for others. Yes, they stop in front of the escalator to have a conversation or discussion if they should go up or not.

But I was impressed with their cabs drivers. We took cabs everywhere and many times the taxi drivers would tell us to catch a cab across the street because it'll be cheaper or if he could drop us across the hotel because it'll be cheaper that way. I honestly had the expectation that we might be cheated by them.

Overall, we enjoyed the trip because it came to a point that there was nothing to occupy us that we actually started to enjoy and appreciate each others' company.

No comments: