Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Worked Late

For the first time ever since I started work in HK for more than three years, I was at work till about 7pm. If that happened in my last job, I would have been irritated and angry. But rather today, I didn't have any negative feelings at all. I actually felt good. And that got me thinking about a couple of things.

One of the things that struck me at the meeting was the camaraderie that was so apparent. We had a meeting on the school tour. The person that was meant to be in charged, had to pull out of the school tour because of medical reasons. When he found out that he was not able to make it on Monday, a colleague stepped up to it immediately and from what I saw and observed today, the colleague did it with a joyful heart. I saw a team that is willing to work hand in hand and help carry each other's burden.

The other thing that I struck me, was the appreciation of each other in the team. And credit and appreciation is always given when it's due. I remember attending meetings previously where team members get frustrated with each other and words are being said and thereafter feelings get hurt. Maybe I've not being enough meetings in my current job to see these sort of behaviours but so far, I've not seen any real negative behaviours.

Why am I really blogging about my job? Well, come this August, it'll be four years in my job. When I took up this job, it was planned for two years. Two years passed and I signed another contract. Now, my contract is coming up. And in some ways, I was looking for the frustration and irritation in my job to tell me that my time in HK is up. But I didn't feel those negative feelings at all. And to be honest, I still bounce out of bed. And to date, I only took one day of sick leave from 1 Sept, which is the start of the academic year, till now. It's a record for me! So how much do I like my job? Very much. Enough to sacrifice part of my Easter holiday to help with the school trip.

No comments: